Android phone with SD card but low space?

Soldato
Got my Dad an Alcatel Pop 4 phone and put a 32gb micro SD card in it. It's got Android 6.0 so when I put the card in it said you can use it as external storage or "add" it to the internal storage.

I went for the latter so he'd have 8gb + 32gb... ES file Explorer shows the phone has 40gb and doesn't show it as separate storages. However when I download apps the phone says there's not enough space? Am I missing something?

Associate
Did you follow step 3 here which basically says that 'Please note, when you choose to use micro SD card as internal storage, you cannot control which files are saved in SD card, and which files are saved in the phone storage.

It will be always decided by the system based on many factors, for example, available phone storage and file type.

You can choose to move them now, or move them later.

You should always choose” Move now”. This is important. If you choose Move later, the system will continue to use phone storage, not SD card!!!'

Soldato
OP
I tried that and it said it could only live a few kb of apps

KG716CU.jpg.png

He's got Facebook, Skype, watssapp etc.... But it won't move them.

Associate
This is just a guess but while Facebook, for example, allowed the App to be moved under Android 5 and earlier it's possible it (and the others) hasn't yet been rewritten to work under adoptable storage in Android 6.

Only other thing I can think of because I keep hitting permissions problems on some of my phones is to check that each app you want to move has the permission for 'Storage' enabled.

Soldato
OP
Tried app2sd but no luck, it wouldn't let me move any of the apps to the SD card. There just wasn't an option to do it.

Been racking my brains trying to find how to root this phone but all I come across is fake Russian APK files riddled with viruses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
some phones don't support moving apps to the SD card. Have you moved all his photo/music/movie files to the SD card already and made it the default storage for media? All I can think of is uninstalling any apps your dad doesn't need but you probs have done that already... so I guess a new phone might be in order. =/

Soldato
OP
So I put in a faster MicroSD card, one of those red and grey ones and hey presto it can be used as internal storage for apps!

Mods you may close this thread :)

Back
Top Bottom