Rosberg retires with immediate effect

Soldato
Hmm, I hadn't considered Formula E drivers. Buemi got much else on? Plenty fast enough for a season as a 2nd driver, experienced and consistent and still fairly young. Would be a half decent shout for a season and he'd move heaven and earth for another shot at F1.

They'd much prefer a half decent current F1 driver, but if they don't think Wehrlein is up to it (in which case why continue funding his career?) and contracts are proving a pain, then why not Buemi.

Soldato
Hmm, I hadn't considered Formula E drivers. Buemi got much else on? Plenty fast enough for a season as a 2nd driver, experienced and consistent and still fairly young. Would be a half decent shout for a season and he'd move heaven and earth for another shot at F1.

They'd much prefer a half decent current F1 driver, but if they don't think Wehrlein is up to it (in which case why continue funding his career?) and contracts are proving a pain, then why not Buemi.

That's what i don't get. Surely driving the Mercedes will be easier than driving a Manor because its infinitely better!? I could understand if it was going from the Manor to the Haas. That thing looks awful..

Caporegime
He makes a good point about Sainz, I bet he'd happily leave the RBR camp knowing his path to top tier driving is blocked by two very fast drivers. Can't see it happening though, shame, he's been mostly underrated and overlooked because of Vers.

I feel sorry for Sainz. He's got completely overshadowed by Max. Also, I wonder whether there is a way back for Kvyat?

LzR

LzR

Associate
I feel sorry for Sainz. He's got completely overshadowed by Max. Also, I wonder whether there is a way back for Kvyat?
He has, but I'm sure his performances were on par against Vers in the TR, which is why I'd like to see him in a top team. I'm amazed Kvyat kept his seat tbh.

Caporegime
He has, but I'm sure his performances were on par against Vers in the TR, which is why I'd like to see him in a top team.

Max did get the better of Sainz, but Sainz - I thought - showed he was a good driver. I don't expect his career to last into his mid twenties now though. Red Bull won't promote him, and they've got new blood coming through who they'll want to give the Rosso seat to, while he doesn't AFAIK have the sponsorship to buy a seat in the lower teams.

I'm amazed Kvyat kept his seat tbh.

Kvyat is good. He narrowly bested Ricciardo in 2015, remember. I don't think he deserved to lose his seat, frankly, although Max unarguably deserved to take it.

Soldato
Ok if we're onto the bonkers ideas...

With Audi exiting WEC, how about a driver move in the other direction for once. Andre Lotterer? ;)

Soldato
I do feel that Mercedes need a high quality, proven driver to keep Hamilton honest. The driver selection is as much about future seasons as it is about 2017. Hamilton needs to be pushed to get the best out of him, avoid complacency and building too much power in the team, and to consider the possibility that Hamilton will also wander off to do other things at the end of 2017 should he win the WDC.

Soldato
Retired from racing altogether, is 40 years old and frankly, not that good IMO.

Haha Yeh I know, it was more a joke with some of the other wacky suggestions made in this thread!

At least with Mark though when Hamilton messes up his starts he could be confident his team mate would have made a worse job of it! :p

More chance of Maldonado - at least he has experience with the Merc power units :)

edit:
Pastor-Maldonado-confident-F1-return-2017

:D

My word, imagine Maldonado getting that seat. Think the whole of the F1 fanbase would have a meltdown :D

Back
Top Bottom