• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
In closed testing by AMD using a single application that probably benefits Zen's architecture the most? probably not so well.

Since that piece of AMD marketing we've seen Zen R7 mostly being compared to Intel's 6c/12t 6850K on a performance level.

So your hypothetical concerns about Zen are unfounded. I bet you feel relieved now, you big worrier you :p

Soldato
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...uraged-by-renduchintalas-pragmatic-influence/

While Intel still hasn’t released many details yet on 10 nm, Murthy did say that 10 nm would substantially enhance performance along multiple axes. There will be better power efficiency for thin and light notebooks, which we think was the primary benefit of a 14 nm process defined during a period where the company was under siege from other form factors. But there will be a significant focus also on higher performance microprocessors for desktops and servers, both from higher instructions per clock but also in other key metrics. Our faith in 10 nm raising the bar for enthusiast PCs is why we see the threat presented by AMD’s Zen as being fairly manageable, with only short term disruption in 2017.

Hmm,so Intel thinks Zen is a threat and will cause disruption in 2017.

Caporegime
When do AMD plan move to 10nm? the way Intel are talking it's probably going to end up like with graphics card where AMD are 1-2yrs behind the curve.

Soldato
Do we know anything more about the AM4 chipsets yet? I definitely won't upgrade my motherboard to anything that doesn't have built-in PCIe M.2 connectors.

Soldato
Regarding AM4 chipsets. As per the link below, select motherboard manufacturers will be at AMD's 'New Horizon' event next week to showcase them >> http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon
KitGuru | Posted: 5th December 2016 said:
AM4/X370 Zen motherboards to be shown at AMD’s New Horizon event

In just one week, we will be getting our best look at AMD’s upcoming Zen processors yet at the ‘New Horizon’ event, just before the rumoured January launch. However, Zen will be just one element, we will also be getting a good look at the new X370 chipset and some of the motherboards that support it, all in time for these new CPUs to hit store shelves in early 2017.

According to reports this week, a few select motherboard makers will also be attending the New Horizon event next week to show off the X370 chipset and AM4 platform. X370 will be the high-end chipset for Zen/Summit Ridge and will likely focus on things like overclocking support, multi-GPU support, USB 3.1 and more.

Motherboard makers making an appearance was first heard by Wccftech this week, whose report claims that we may also see a showcase of AM4 compatible CPU coolers. Aside from that though, we can expect a bit of a show from AMD, as the exclusive New Horizon live stream will be hosted by Geoff Keighley, who you will probably recognise from the annual Game Awards shows.
Source

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the manufacturers could be a reason to not buy Zen for example. I know a lot of people who are increadibly loyal to mobo manufactures and so will go Kabylake if their manufacturer doesnt make AM4 boards

Soldato
Would imagine you will see Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus at a minimum for mobo manufacturers? i have a feeling Zen will be a breakthrough moment for AMD and really push a lot of units out of the door, can imagine the mobo manufacturers will be keen to sell products to support it.

Soldato
Yeah the manufacturers could be a reason to not buy Zen for example. I know a lot of people who are increadibly loyal to mobo manufactures and so will go Kabylake if their manufacturer doesnt make AM4 boards

Lets be honest the main guys are certainly going to be there. Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus. Even Asrock id assume.

Back
Top Bottom