£280m "Circuit of Wales" given go ahead.

Caporegime
Palmer is protecting his own interests and obviously wouldn't get behind the competition. The UK needs a proper purpose built track up to 21st century standards.

Soldato
Palmer is protecting his own interests and obviously wouldn't get behind the competition. The UK needs a proper purpose built track up to 21st century standards.

It says it won't be capable of hosting F1 - any ideas why?

I suppose they don't expect to get it, but what requirements does F1 have that other formulas don't?

Caporegime
Circuits capable of F1 are classed as 'Grade 1' and they're not aiming for that on purpose. Stuff like tarmac run off then gravel, medical centre on site with Trauma capability, helicopter landing pads and plenty of other stuff that F1 'requires'. There's more info and a way better answer here including links to the relevant FIA documentation. I was going to copy and paste it but credit where it's due.

They're aiming for 'Grade 2' status which means they can hold F1 testing and MotoGP/WTCC/WSBK, National series like BSB, British GT, BTCC and Euro series like F3, DTM etc is what they're trying to lure. More money in those series believe it or not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought you needed Grade 1T for F1 testing?

Either way, this track isn't aiming that high.

I'm just a bit shocked its made it this far.

Man of Honour
Is it going to be the usual UK **** up, where they build something big and not think/massively underestimate the transport infrastructure needed.

Soldato
I'm sure it'll be an impressive facility but commercially I can't see it succeeding.

The venue won't have the name or history to compete with the likes of Silverstone, Donington or Brands for the international series that only visit this country once a season so it'll be left with mostly national series only and there are very few of those that draw any kind of sizeable crowd (BTCC, BSB and British GT/F4 are the only 3 I can think of off hand)

The need to recoup the huge investment required to build it will lead to it having to charge similar usage fees to the three 'premium' UK circuits mentioned above so your typical low budget clubman series will be put off going there.

I can't see the location helping either, motorsport businesses would rather locate themselves in the tried and trusted motorsport region centered around Silverstone rather than risk isolating themselves.

Eventually all you'll end up with is a very nice trackday venue for those in Wales/The West to use. You only need to look at the car parks full of pallets of compost and the barely used grandstands of Rockingham to see that the demand isn't there to match the ambition of an enterprise like this.

As for their estimates on job creation, I can't imagine the number of full time jobs created supported by a race circuit is even into triple figures let alone the 4000-6000 they are quoting

Soldato
all you'll end up with is a very nice trackday venue for those in Wales/The West to use.

Oh no, what a blow... :D

However, I do think you're right. I think of Rockingham and it can't be used enough to recoup the cost of building it?

I mentioned it to one of the lads in work and got this tirade over how awful it was that its green belt land and they mustn't touch it. Should have known better he's a bit of tree hugger.

Man of Honour
I see a news story in 12 months with some diggers in a field, some piles of sod and people moaning about how they haven't been paid.

Soldato
track looks pants, lets build a track in a hilly area and have no gradient....
Also why build it in ebbw vale, the cars will have there tyres nicked as line up for the start.
Why didnt they invest in pembrey or llandow much better situated tracks, there is no decent methods of getting to the place that wont be blocked come race day

Soldato
I'm sure it'll be an impressive facility but commercially I can't see it succeeding.

The venue won't have the name or history to compete with the likes of Silverstone, Donington or Brands for the international series that only visit this country once a season so it'll be left with mostly national series only and there are very few of those that draw any kind of sizeable crowd (BTCC, BSB and British GT/F4 are the only 3 I can think of off hand)

The need to recoup the huge investment required to build it will lead to it having to charge similar usage fees to the three 'premium' UK circuits mentioned above so your typical low budget clubman series will be put off going there.

I can't see the location helping either, motorsport businesses would rather locate themselves in the tried and trusted motorsport region centered around Silverstone rather than risk isolating themselves.

Eventually all you'll end up with is a very nice trackday venue for those in Wales/The West to use. You only need to look at the car parks full of pallets of compost and the barely used grandstands of Rockingham to see that the demand isn't there to match the ambition of an enterprise like this.

As for their estimates on job creation, I can't imagine the number of full time jobs created supported by a race circuit is even into triple figures let alone the 4000-6000 they are quoting

What he said. Why this is even getting any public funding is a mystery to me.

Back
Top Bottom