Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Anyone else bought the LG G Watch or Samsung Gear Live? My Gear Live just arrived and after playing with it can see a lot of potential but right now I haven't spent a lot of time with it to really see all the pros and cons.

One update as soon as I turned the watch on, no idea what it's done. Android Wear seems fairly polished but a few tiny animation glitches. I bet there's going to be a lot of updates coming soon with Android L and material design.

Right now I'd like to be able to design my own watch face or at least download others designs, I'm sure that will come with time though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be great to hear your (and any others) thoughts on it once you've used it a bit, quite tempted myself...

If somebody has one and also uses Strava I noticed in the latest update it mentioned Android Wear support and I think that's one of the use cases that works for a smartwatch, especially if it uses the heart rate monitor of the Gear Live

Associate
Like Sunbed, I'll be jumping into Android Wear as soon as the Moto 360 is available! :)

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the OS after a few days of use. Battery life is also something I'd like to hear more about from someone using the watch out in the wild.

Soldato
tagging this thread. I am interested in it's GPS and HRM capabilities. Want to get one so I don't have to carry my phone around with me when running ot cycling

Pretty sure Android Wear requires you to have your phone on you for the GPS part...

Although that brings a good question, what functions does the watch have when it's not connected to a phone?

Soldato
OP
tagging this thread. I am interested in it's GPS and HRM capabilities. Want to get one so I don't have to carry my phone around with me when running ot cycling

I was also interested in the HRM for running (ditch my Garmin) but the watch itself doesn't have GPS, you'd need to take your phone for that part. I was thinking of getting an arm band strap thing, then I could also use it as my mp3 player too.

I haven't had a chance to test that side of things but will report back when I have.

Caporegime
Pretty sure Android Wear requires you to have your phone on you for the GPS part...

Although that brings a good question, what functions does the watch have when it's not connected to a phone?

This is a shame really, I know it would destroy the battery but an option to turn it off when you don't have the phone on you would be awesome.

Pretty much defeats the purpose of having the watch in the first place, though if Strava bring out a good app then I'll be intrested.

I did also say a while back, I'll never ever have a smart watch. Seen the Moto 360, and now I want one :D

Soldato
Got my LG G Watch today and I love it...while Google doesn't quite pick up my accent (scottish) all the time it does a good job with the majority.

I have really slim wrists so I'm glad it fits well! :) Being able to skip tracks on Spotify on it is terrific too, really think it looks smart and is really comfortable.

:D

Soldato
Well this doesn't sound good for the Gear Live: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...r-lives-horrible-charging-mechanism-breaking/

Looks like they rushed the device. To those with the LG G Watch, how are you finding the build quality?

It's a solid piece of kit mate...solid, looks great! :) Just love the wee notifications. I've uploaded some pics to Google Drive so I'll stick them up soon.

Good to hear positive first impressions!

What are the stock LG watch faces like, is there a good selection? :)

Faces wise a very good selection and I think I've settled for now. The best thing about the Play Store though, we'll have limitless possibilities soon enough :)

Last edited:
Soldato
On the wrist...

IMG_20140707_205739.jpg

...and more below :)

IMG_20140707_193028.jpg

IMG_20140707_193509.jpg

IMG_20140707_193716.jpg

IMG_20140707_195914.jpg

IMG_20140707_200547.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow the watch looks a lot better than I thought it would, thanks for the photos!

Very nice review as well, it looks like LG has put a lot of effort into this watch. Quite interesting to see the charging base also has a sticky back... And I was about to ask if PowerAmp worked with the watch, but I see you already covered that in the review :D.

I'm really warming up to the LG G Watch but I still think I'll wait for the Moto 360.

Associate
Nice pictures jrodga and an excellent review Mrk, I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life. 51% remaining after a heavy days use seems fair. Were you streaming audio on your phone and using the watch to skip tracks etc during these tests?

Back
Top Bottom