• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FX Overclocking

Caporegime
I just built my girlfriend an AMD only FX rig which she will be using for browsing, watching movies and playing games such as Alien Isolation and the Sims 4/3.

Specs
FX8370E
Asus Crosshair Formula Z
Asus Radeon R9 290P
8GB Radeon Gamer Memory 2400Mhz CL10
R7 Radeon 480GB SSD

YWoKikx.jpg

ZzWgoLI.jpg

Since getting the FX8370E I've been having quite a bit of fun overclocking, these chips overclock really well!

With that in mind, I'd love to see what some of you are getting with your overclocks on your AMD processor (Or apu). So far I've managed

4.4Ghz @1.3v
4.8Ghz @1.428v
5.0Ghz @1.452v

The 5Ghz bench test is ongoing, but I'm amazed at how little voltage i need from 4.8gHZ-5Ghz.

gcYpoKP.jpg

wDKkvAm.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shouldn't your posts have some sort of statement that you're an AMD employee? talk about blatant marketing.

You've fitted 3 Noctua Industrial fans as well not exactly a good choice for some peaceful web browsing and watching of Blurays.

Caporegime
OP
These items were bought from Overclockers so naturally I'm going to post about my experiences with them here, as i do with all the hardware i buy from Overclockers. I've been doing this since i became part of the community in 2007 and i will continue to do that as long as the Dons allow.

This is about how well your AMD FX processor overclocks, so feel free to contribute your own experiences, screenshots etc. :)

Btw MMJ, those Noctua fans are PWN so complete silence at idle as you can control them via the motherboard or use AI Suite.

Associate
Shouldn't your posts have some sort of statement that you're an AMD employee? talk about blatant marketing.

You've fitted 3 Noctua Industrial fans as well not exactly a good choice for some peaceful web browsing and watching of Blurays.

It says vendor rep under his name - all the other vendor reps mention their products too. Why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Associate

I'm using 5 of those fans, great thing about them is you can run them nice and quiet but can crank them up when needed :)

Anyways, I'll need to take some screencaps of mine but i can run 5.1Ghz on 1.52v with my FX-9590.

The newer chips look to be a more mature process though which is good news :)

Caporegime
OP
I'm using 5 of those fans, great thing about them is you can run them nice and quiet but can crank them up when needed :)

Anyways, I'll need to take some screencaps of mine but i can run 5.1Ghz on 1.52v with my FX-9590.

The newer chips look to be a more mature process though which is good news :)

The newer chips are definitely higher binned for sure. :cool:

I reckon i can beat your 5.1Ghz with my FX8370E. :D

I got 5.15Ghz on my 8350 @1.5v. Thats great voltage to reach 5Ghz though, have you upped the fsb at all? or just straight multiplyer?

Very impressive. I used the core ratio multiplyer to get mine.

Soldato
My 8350 is at 4.4 with a be quiet dark rock 2 cooler. Its stable at the moment I had a few issues at 4.5 but I reckon I can get it there with a bit more reading up into voltages and motherboard tweaks

Thanks to ohecksecks for helping me on here too otherwise I would have been stuck

Caporegime
OP
My 8350 is at 4.4 with a be quiet dark rock 2 cooler. Its stable at the moment I had a few issues at 4.5 but I reckon I can get it there with a bit more reading up into voltages and motherboard tweaks

Thanks to ohecksecks for helping me on here too otherwise I would have been stuck

I had a Asrock Fatality Killer 990FX board before this and i had a lot of trouble getting a stable overclock and keeping vrm temps under control. I gave up in the end and bought a Asus Crosshair Formula Z from Overclockers. Glad i did as vrm temps are now lower than my cpu temps and are a non issue. Great board this one!

Last edited:
Associate
Formula Z is definitely the best board for it. Try out clocking the fsb, gave higher scores in cinebench for the same overall clock speed as just using the multi. Bit more of a pain but fun to do :D assuming you want max overall performance

Caporegime
OP
Formula Z is definitely the best board for it. Try out clocking the fsb, gave higher scores in cinebench for the same overall clock speed as just using the multi. Bit more of a pain but fun to do :D assuming you want max overall performance

Interesting, how much extra performance? I've not explored this option yet, but now you've got me interested.

What other voltages do you need to alter if you go this route? For now all I've touched is Core voltage, Dram voltage and LLC High.

I love that Mobo ...just something about it I like :)...Still got mine in a box somewhere lol

Got to be the best AMD board going i think.

Associate

I'd agree with that, fsb clocks sometimes require less voltage as well, i've found my board/chip likes 230fsb, 2145Mhz ram, 2538Mhz NB, 2769Mhz HT and a 22x Multi for 5.1 (well 5077Mhz)

Soldato

Lol did you know that having the Noctua industrial fans connected to a fan controller can bring in great notice/air flow?

I run mine at 1000rpm and nothing touches them for notice/flow least in the fans i have owned.

Edit
Great results Btw matt..

Soldato
Passed my stability test, 5Ghz at 1.45v chuffed with that! Might have to try out FSB next. This has been easy so far!

fDsYnyG.jpg

Wow you got 5.1ghz on multi alone? check your pants, I think you have golden balls. :eek:

I've had my 8320 to 5.13ghz on a bit of both but it wasn't stable. Highest stable clock within temps was 4.9ghz.

Multi usually requires far more volts than clocking the bus, so in theory your chip could be good for 5.4ghz or so. However, when they crap out they crap out and no amount of voltage can get you there so you may be either near your limit or on it.

Soldato
I've built a second machine over the weekend. I bought a Gigabyte 970A-DS3 R1.0 for £35ish and miraculously it came with an fx 6300 :) So I kept that in rather than my old PII 960T.

Unfortunately the board throttles back the CPU with any sort of serious voltage bump :(. If I disable APm, it doesn't actually do anything, and still throttles.

It can do 4.2ghz @ about 1.275v at least, and the whole system is barely audible. I'm going to see if I can position some fans to cool the vrms better. But yeah, would not reccommend this board for overclocking, it's diabolical.

YOUR BASKET
1 x HIS HD 7850 IceQ 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H785Q2G2M) £149.99
1 x AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition 3.50GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail £83.99
1 x Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard £52.99
1 x Corsair Builder Series CX 500w Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020059-UK) £49.99
1 x Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 CPU Cooler £34.99
1 x SanDisk Pulse 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (SDSSDP-064G-G25) £34.99
1 x BitFenix Neos ATX Tower Black/Red £29.99
2 x TeamGroup Elite 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Single Channel Module (TED32GM1600C1101) £14.99 (£29.98)
Total : £480.41 (includes shipping : £11.25).

Soldato
That board has no VRM cooling at all.

Why not try fitting some? surely there's something on that auction site that would fit? I really wish more people would be a bit more creative with the VRM problem :D

Back
Top Bottom