Nvidia re-release Shield Tablet K1

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I have one and use it daily, it's always been very quick and you have a near stock experience with a few useful UI tweaks such as the ability to go fullscreen which hides the on-screen system buttons. I actually really like the stylus too as it works well with the included apps and Onenote.

If you're considering it for the HDMI output while it works fine you really need a controller to actually control it. There are two modes, one mirrors the screen and the other mode outputs native 1080p while disabling the tablets own screen.

Downsides are that the battery is nothing special, and it's a little on the thick and heavy side compared with other tablets of this size.

Soldato
I have one and use it daily, it's always been very quick and you have a near stock experience with a few useful UI tweaks such as the ability to go fullscreen which hides the on-screen system buttons. I actually really like the stylus too as it works well with the included apps and Onenote.

If you're considering it for the HDMI output while it works fine you really need a controller to actually control it. There are two modes, one mirrors the screen and the other mode outputs native 1080p while disabling the tablets own screen.

Downsides are that the battery is nothing special, and it's a little on the thick and heavy side compared with other tablets of this size.
I am considering the HDMI output just for beaming videos and Kodi onto a TV, is that all ok?

Regarding battery, on average what would you get?

Soldato
Think I'm going to buy one of these before Christmas.

8 inch screen is smaller than I would like but at the price it's too good not to pick up.

It has everything I'm looking for, high res screen for streaming, upgradable storage and a very powerful processor.

Soldato
I am considering the HDMI output just for beaming videos and Kodi onto a TV, is that all ok?

Regarding battery, on average what would you get?

I guess they should work but you would need something to remotely control it while it's outputting to the TV. It doesn't support HDMI-CEC as far as I know so you can't use your remote (should your TV support that).

In mirror mode you get output on the TV and the tablet, so you could control it directly. The issue with this mode is that the aspect ratio is not correct for a TV, and so you get black borders on the sides.

In console mode it will output 1080p to the TV only, so you get the ideal picture but really need a remote or the controller to actual control the thing. You can technically control it from the tablets touch screen still as although no picture is output it does respond to touch.

Some apps also actively block output to HDMI, such as the Sky Go and Virgin TV apps.

For the battery I seem to get around 5-6 hours of screen time, this is mostly web browsing or watching videos. I'm probably charging it every 2-3 days. It takes between 2 and 3 hours to charge fully.

Soldato
Associate
I was seriously considering the Nexus 9, but I've just seen this tablet at overclockers!

How does the K1 compare to the Nexus 9?

Soldato
OP
Received mine today - pretty much what I expected. Has a nice heft to it, and I really like the rubberised coating. The amount of bezel is quite offensive though :p also the side buttons are very "squishy"... don't like that at all!

Haven't taken the time to set it up yet, but will report back with some gaming experiences :)

[edit] Man, I hope MM brings ambient display to this tablet... the power button is really, really horrible :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom