Poll: Sebastian Vettel

Should Vettel be penalised for his radio outburst during the 2016 Mexico grand prix?

• Total voters
Soldato
Should he be penalised for his foul mouthed outburst in Mexico?
I would say yes, maybe we could have a poll please.
I'm not generally against swearing but I thought Sebs outburst, particularly getting personal regarding Charlie Whiting, was way over the top. I don't think any penalty should be race related ie points or grid drop and I don't think a monetary fine would have any effect. Suspend his license? Community service? A difficult one I think.
Andi.

Soldato
No he shouldn't be penalised.

The whole situation is a bit of a joke really.

He got so wound up because of poor stewardship/loopholed rules.

Verstappen should have been told to yielded immediately, however the rules allowed the backing up to happen which created a situation that the stewards could have proactively avoided yet they didn't in typical F1 judgement fashion.

So the stewards inability to act quickly created a situation that shouldn't have occurred.

Vettel getting irate at this is understandable and as for the sweary radio, that was FOM's choice to air it, its none of our business what was said and there should be no punishment for what was said at all.

It was interesting to hear and brought some emotion out in F1 which is great.

If it was considered so bad that a punishment is required then FOM should be the ones to take the brunt of any punishment for choosing to air it in the first place. I bet there are a hell of a lot of messages that don't get aired because of their blue nature.

Soldato
particularly getting personal regarding Charlie Whiting, was way over the top.

That was unnecessary and needs to be jumped on to maintain a level of professionalism within the sport. Points on the licence IMO. Not really affecting him as such but enough of a punishment to say "cut it out, now"

There are very few humble F1 drivers. You can't get to that level without a certain level of arrogance and self importance. They are all going to be a little hot headed at times. It just needs to be kept under control.

I also don't get the Seb hatred. When he first appeared everyone loved him and he was a really jokey lad playing tricks etc. I remember Brundle saying he imagined Seb telling himself jokes during long straights :) He started winning, was just as up himself as the rest of them, yet he gets the greatest amount of hatred once he's winning championships.

I think that jokey lad is still in there but pressures of the sport have changed him.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Poll added for you.

I vote no, I took it like his radio engineer was informing him that Charlie has been informed to which he replied in a sarcastic and aggressive way due to the tension and frustration of the moment.

Man of Honour
No

If his language offended you then take it up with FOM.

It's not about being offended, I thought it was hilarious but it's about setting an example and not undermining someone in authority. Footballers swear and curse at the ref all the time, but if if ever was clearly broadcast and was audible on TV to the millions watching, you can bet your house on the fact he'd be made an example of.

It just can't happen. And because it was broadcast on live TV, it has to be punished.

Soldato
Non issue for me. I'd be quite annoyed if he got into any trouble regarding it.

FOM chose to broadcast it.

Agreed. Ask him to keep such strong personal opinions private in the future, but it would be a miscarriage of justice if he's done for bringing the sport into disrepute as as you said FOM chose to broadcast the remarks.

It's odd. He used to be so jovial (and still is to a lesser degree), and while he's never shied away from giving his opinions (good) he's rarely been one to grumble too much until this year. Is he starting to feel the supposed pressure that comes with being a Ferrari driver? This isn't Sebastian Vettel.

Soldato
It's not about being offended, I thought it was hilarious but it's about setting an example and not undermining someone in authority. Footballers swear and curse at the ref all the time, but if if ever was clearly broadcast and was audible on TV to the millions watching, you can bet your house on the fact he'd be made an example of.

It just can't happen. And because it was broadcast on live TV, it has to be punished.

He didn't choose to broadcast that message to the public, FOM did. It's not like he did it in a post race interview or into a live mic.

Soldato
All radio broadcasts are made available after the race anyway so it would still be headline news, but after the event rather than during. If I told the representitive of the regulating body my company has to work under to fluff off in public like that it would not go unpunished. They could still issue a reprimand that would only go towards a 10 place drop if the other two infringements were driving related. I don't think it deserves anything stricter but it has to be nipped in the bud before other drivers start telling Charlie what they think of blue flags... oh that's Vettel too.

Soldato
I don't think it is a stretch to think a lot of driver swear over the course of a weekend. Usually they aren't broadcast and it is a non issue and drivers aren't punished. Being broadcast shouldn't change that when it was FOM decision, rather than Vettel's, to broadcast it to viewers.

Soldato
I think if i had the adrenaline flowing and felt hard done by, my language would have been far more colourful than a simple FO.

Probably C-Bombs everywhere.

Man of Honour
I can only lol heartily at the people suggesting bans. It was clearly private between engineer and Vettel in the heat of the moment. He may well have said 'for Charlie', but it was obvious sarcasm. FIA chose to broadcast it. They only have themselves to blame if it looks bad.

Soldato
Wow. Surprised how many people think it's OK to speak like that on the radio. Definitely should be banned for rest of the season.

You can not be serious? :eek:

Realistically, what damage has SV done? He told Whiting the same thing I bet many of us would have wanted to tell him at some point over the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom