Poll: Brazilian Grand Prix 2016, São Paulo - Race 20/21

Rate the 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
ygAwdsv.png

São Paulo

In 1938 a huge plot of land was bought in Sao Paulo by two local property developers who intended to build a large housing development. It soon became clear, however, that one part of the land was not suitable for housing and so they decided to build a racing circuit instead. Sao Paulo grew at an incredible speed though and soon the circuit was surrounded by houses.

When, in the 1970s, Emerson Fittipaldi began to have international success, the Brazilians started to want a Grand Prix. In 1971 and 1972 Interlagos hosted non-championship events but in 1973 the track staged its first championship Grand Prix.

The track became a lucky charm for local racers, with Fittipaldi and Carlos Pace taking the spoils of victory in the 1970s. Interlagos was the scene of Pace's first and only Formula One triumph, and following his death in a plane crash the circuit was renamed in his honour.

In 1978 the Grand Prix moved to Rio, but in 1979 Interlagos got its race back. By 1981, however, Rio had retaken the Grand Prix, Sao Paulo's slums being at odds with the glamorous image Formula One wanted to portray. When a $15m redevelopment programme was agreed in the heyday of Ayrton Senna, a Sao Paulo local, the race finally switched back to Interlagos.

And there it has stayed. Since Senna's death there has been no Brazilian world champion, but the passion of the Brazilian fans keeps the sport coming back every year.

TV Times

Sky:
2joXYun.png

C4:
HwLTWLh.png

Track Diagram & Information

tOenrN8.png

Weather Forecast

wlMmele.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/11/Rosberg's_onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Brazil.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/11/Race_edit__Brazil_'15.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Brasil

qAT7OXi.jpg

Brasil Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/11/brazil-preview-quotes---.html

WDC Standings

0eBl3gW.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

F8DuZIz.png

Practice 1

Uh95Soc.png

Practice 2

N3TCI3e.png

Practice 3

d6P35b5.png

Qualifying

mkER7G9.png

Race

kNExfLN.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm gonna totally miss this weekend as I'll be in the Sahara!

Dearly hoping the championship isn't decided whilst I'm away.

LzR

LzR

Associate
Awesome track. doesn't feel the same not being the last race of the season though, not sure why.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Do or die for Hamilton. He needs to break his Brazilian duck and hope Ros finishes 3rd or lower.

Tough ask.

Soldato
I know I'm being picky but can we have a title spell check please ;)

Lets hope it is as confusing/wet/dramatic as 2003, if you thought Mexico was a farcical finish check out Brazil 2003, ended up in the FIA courts to decide the winner. A revised unofficial ceremony was held at the next GP.
Andi.

Soldato
I know I'm being picky but can we have a title spell check please ;)

Lets hope it is as confusing/wet/dramatic as 2003, if you thought Mexico was a farcical finish check out Brazil 2003, ended up in the FIA courts to decide the winner. A revised unofficial ceremony was held at the next GP.
Andi.

It was easy to see the winner (the replay of Alonso's crash showed Fisichella going through the debris to start the new lap before the red was thrown), but they cocked up at the time and I presume they had to go through certain channels to change it officially.

It was a mad race though. The difference between the Bridgestones and Michelins swung the race back and forth, with Michelin much better in the wetter stages and Bridgestone much stronger as the track dried out. They'd have been on slicks if there wasn't a river still spewing over turn 3.

The 2012 race was almost as good (even if only for the title fight and Vettel's charge back through the field and Alonso's wonder save, nevermind the battle between the 2 McLarens and Hulkenberg).

2008 obviously very good in terms of the title battle, but the race itself was a bit meh when you consider the conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was easy to see the winner (the replay of Alonso's crash showed Fisichella going through the debris to start the new lap before the red was thrown), but they cocked up at the time and I presume they had to go through certain channels to change it officially.

It was a mad race though. The difference between the Bridgestones and Michelins swung the race back and forth, with Michelin much better in the wetter stages and Bridgestone much stronger as the track dried out. They'd have been on slicks if there wasn't a river still spewing over turn 3.

The 2012 race was almost as good (even if only for the title fight and Vettel's charge back through the field and Alonso's wonder save, nevermind the battle between the 2 McLarens and Hulkenberg).

2008 obviously very good in terms of the title battle, but the race itself was a bit meh when you consider the conditions.

I also understand only 1 wet tyre type was allowed/taken, they only had intermediates.
Andi.

Soldato
For such a small track, this place has had a lot of races that have affected the world championship...
Kimi pinching the title off Lewis in 2007
Lewis taking the title from under Massa's nose in 2008
Vettel spinning on lap 1 of 2012, falling to the back of the field, but recovering just enough to prevent an Alonso title steal.

And that's before mentioning the year when so many of the field span of one by one due to the crazy amount of water run-off (including Schumacher), or the year where there was a major smash approaching T1 where the race result had to be carefully worked out from the previous lap.

I really hope the promise of Redbull mixing it with the Mercs comes to fruition, plus for a change, Ferrari push them both too without blunders. Shame it looks like the race will be dry, but that could all change.

Soldato
And that's before mentioning the year when so many of the field span of one by one due to the crazy amount of water run-off (including Schumacher), or the year where there was a major smash approaching T1 where the race result had to be carefully worked out from the previous lap.

Same year dude. :p See above.

There's been some massive crashes here, especially so when there's only 3 quick corners, unless you consider the run up to the start line as Webber (twice including his monstrous WEC crash), Stephane Sarrazin and Rosberg will testify.

Ignoring the turn 3 river carnage above, there's some other large accidents I can recall:

• Michael Andretti crash in turn 1 in 93 after colliding with Berger, with Andretti flying through the air.
  • Mansell and Zonta were both injured (to vastly different degrees!) colliding with the same wall.
  • The Irvine/Verstappen/Bernard crash where Verstappen went barrolrolling and his wheel hit Brundle's helmet.
  • Salo's crash in 2000 when his rear wing failed.
  • The infamous Heidfeld vs safety car crash.
  • Schumacher had a sizeable crash here in 2004 in Ferradura.
  • The Trulli/Sutil crash where they wiped out Alonso at high speed, then nearly came to blows blaming each other.

There'll be others I've not mentioned too I'm sure. but it's not a track short of large accidents.

Back
Top Bottom