• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k Bundle or Kaby Lake Next year

Associate
Hi Guys,

I am facing a dilemma right now, i have Black Friday bundle in my basket waiting for the release at 10am with 6700k. SHould i go for the current gen or wait until January for new Kaby Lake and new motherboard?Would there be a significant difference in performance? My current i7 is very old I think it one of the first i7 gen.

Soldato
If your want to upgrade id say go for the bundle. Kabylake cpu's are not going to offer anything but a minor incremental upgrade over skylake. Main difference will be the new 200 series/ union point motherboards with support for upcoming processors.

But given that you have held onto your existing setup for yonks and given that a 6700k is plenty now and we see you good for a while yet id say say some £££££'s and get the £500 bundle if your quick enough!

Caporegime
the deal if you get one is great value for money.with current pricing and how intel drip feed performance upgrades dont expect the next gen to be bnothing much. also the bundle will be ocd. who knows the next gen might not oc aswell.so the gap will probably be closer still.

Soldato
I really don't expect much from zen unfortunately.

The days of AMD being competitive at the top end are long gone. Good value budget options are what they do these days.

Shame as i loved my Athlon64 setup back in the day.

Associate
[information from a distributor in Vietnam] for Kabylake, the 7700K will be released in January. At default setting, it boosts to 4.5Ghz at least with Asrock Z170 OC Formula. The clock-to-clock performance is within margin of error compared to 6700K.

Caporegime
as we already know intel drip feed performance.the gains now are almost at a wall.so to update and sell they need to do it slowly until somekind of break through is made where we have a big jump.or its worth it for them to do so.

amd have had close to 15 years to challenge intel.they cant.its that simple.

intel will stay infront as normal.

8 core blah blah look at 8 cores previous.all slower than the intel 4 cores.doesnt matter if you got 50 cores if four does 99 percent of your daily use better.:p

Soldato
I have a feeling that the AMD Zen CPU if up there with performance of Broadwell E will be priced accordingly.
Perhaps but these are mainstream chips so the motherboards might be cheaper.

I highly doubt AMD will price things such that a motherboard + CPU combo would be the same price as Intel for the same performance. Intel have saturated the market for so long and have so much name recognition that they need a tangible edge.

Associate
I missed out on the bundle. Even on the 28th December, I'd still consider a 6700k bundle. I don't see the point in holding out any longer when I'm upgrading from a 2700k to get a better Vive experience .....

Back
Top Bottom