• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 6400 which motherboard for overclocking

Man of Honour
Are you aware of the downsides of going down this route?

There is no power saving at all so the cpu runs at full speed with full voltage all of the time. This alone is a deal breaker for me.

You can only read temps using the likes of HW Monitor or the software that comes with the motherboard. Real temp, core temp etc do not work.

You can't use the igpu.

Potentially the biggest one is that you can never update the bios. This means that should you plug a piece of hardware in such as memory or a gpu that isn't compatible you either do without the piece of hardware or update the bios and lose all overclocking ability. You may think that this won't happen but it did when Ivybridge and Z77 was the current platform. The motherboards needed bios updates to support the latest cards from both Nvidia and AMD.

I would always go down the proper route and buy a unlocked K series cpu. With Black Friday coming this week you may find one somewhere not too far off the price of the i5 6400.

Another downside is that the boards tha enable this such as the Asus Z170-E are generally more expensive meaning that you could have bought a cheaper board and a 6600k for not much more than the 6400 and motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
i have a 6400 at 4.5ghz at 1.275v on a gb z170m board,as you say temps are low and very frugal on power draw,idles at under 30c and never seen more than 60c with a cheap artic i11 cooler on low speed.

Back
Top Bottom