What's your wireless SSID?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've always been very boring and used the name of my router. For instance, I'm currently running a SSID called "ASUS RT-87U" :p

I know there's no "right" way to name the wireless network but I need inspiration. Googling for ideas just coughs up nonsense like "FBI Van" and "It hurts when IP" and I want something a bit more original.

Some people might say "why care?"... well, I care.

Soldato
I've always been tempted to use one like "McDonalds Customer WiFi" in an area where there isn't a McD's for miles.

But I just use the default HomeHub one.

Soldato
Mine used to be ****PRISM (the first word being of the eff variety), relating to the data collection monster that is GCHQ/NSA. Ironically a custom SSID is the worst, because it helps geolocation. Mine is kept generic now, and rotated every now and then. For example 'Deskjet' or 'BTOpenzone', as there are thousands of them all over the country.

Soldato
Mine used to be ****PRISM (the first word being of the eff variety), relating to the data collection monster that is GCHQ/NSA. Ironically a custom SSID is the worst, because it helps geolocation. Mine is kept generic now, and rotated every now and then. For example 'Deskjet' or 'BTOpenzone', as there are thousands of them all over the country.

haha, when I was trialling a new guest wireless solution at work I decided against 'Guest WiFi trial' or something equally descriptive and went with a random BTHub4-xxxx SSID to keep it inconspicuous.

Not really an issue if the SSID was kept within one building but with 40 sites across Greater Manchester, some with external access points backing onto housing estates, I didn't want to draw too much attention to it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Always named mine the name of my houses in the form of "<Name of house> WiFi" seems logical to me. :p

Last edited:
Associate
VM21WISHART is our ssid name.

Yes 21 is the house number and street name and vm is virginmedia isp name.

15219377_10154826210367375_2606540132003931528_n.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All the SSID's around here seem to be either the ISP defaults or just the name of the router brand.

Used to be some interesting ones, mostly something crude, but they seem to have disappeared. Ours is just my dad's initials as its quick and easy to type - can't remember why it is that though.

Back
Top Bottom