• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 7700k @ 5ghz

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Didnt people report before the 6700k release that they got it at 5Ghz
same with the 4790k before that

but when consumers got them very few reached 5Ghz for 24/7 use

i somehow don't see this being any different

Man of Honour
The most interesting thing I see in that article if it is indeed true is this:-

As well as Intel's K-series i5 and i7 series CPUs it looks like Intel also plans on releasing a new K-series overclockable i3 series CPU.

I have to say that it's about time but I dread to think how much it's going to be. Personally I would never go back to dual core even if it does have HT but there is definately a market for one.

Associate

I have to say that it's about time but I dread to think how much it's going to be. Personally I would never go back to dual core even if it does have HT but there is definately a market for one.

Just below the bottom range i5 I believe. It would get snapped up left right and centre though, even if it's just for novelty.

Soldato
Didnt people report before the 6700k release that they got it at 5Ghz
same with the 4790k before that

but when consumers got them very few reached 5Ghz for 24/7 use

i somehow don't see this being any different
This is a given. No way will they all reach 5 GHz. Maximum overclock will almost certainly be the same as Skylake, which is why the lack of IPC increase makes it realtively pointless.

Caporegime
5ghz always touted.then chips released oh look less than 1 percent even make 5ghz.

hehe remember the amd bulldozer 5ghz chip gibbo had think i seen one more person on here who had one at that speed.

no way are these doing 5 ghz on air regular to the masses.

the cinebench scores also are next to nothing of a upgrade to whats out now.even at 5ghz.

Soldato
...i somehow don't see this being any different

Yer, everything from Haswell on seems to have been touted as 5GHz on air, and yet the average non-aggressive overclock remains more in the 4.4-4.6 range :/

...which is why the lack of IPC increase makes it realtively pointless.

Coming from a 2500k, I'm happy enough to wait for Kaby on the assumption it should have lower thermal output than Skylake. If it turns out they'll reliably do, say, 4.8, then that's just a bonus. Mostly I just want to kick up to an i7 and don't want to pay some rip off price for an old Ivy :)

Associate

Initial rumours put it at around £180; so if they turn out to be accurate it sounds like a bit of a waste of time.

Caporegime
£180 for a i3 is just insane. Then again so is £230+ for a unlocked i5. i3's are taking the old pricing of the i5's which have taken the old pricing of the i7's which have taken on a completely new ridiculous pricing level.

There's no competition so no surprise prices are creeping up, surprised they've not gone higher tbh.

Intel biggest competition is with themselves, i.e are their new chips much better then the last few generations and can they price them so people will upgrade.

Maybe Zen will shake things up but I don't trust AMD to deliver.

Soldato
Coming from a 2500k, I'm happy enough to wait for Kaby on the assumption it should have lower thermal output than Skylake. If it turns out they'll reliably do, say, 4.8, then that's just a bonus. Mostly I just want to kick up to an i7 and don't want to pay some rip off price for an old Ivy :)
Why would it have lower thermal output? It is on the same process (14 nm) and has the same TDP (95 W) as Skylake.

Is cinebench you main game? :)

At least you have a 300-400W spaceheater xeon to keep you warm this winter :D
Eh, 32 nm doesn't run that hot. I wouldn't be surprised if X58 motherboards used more power than the CPUs though. My GPU is easily the biggest heat generator so changing to a newer platform wouldn't affect it much.

Soldato
Eh, 32 nm doesn't run that hot. I wouldn't be surprised if X58 motherboards used more power than the CPUs though. My GPU is easily the biggest heat generator so changing to a newer platform wouldn't affect it much.

X58 xeons guzzle power (and thus produce massive amounts of heat) when overclocked.

RYJBMQk.png

Source: http://www.overclock-and-game.com/hardware/computer-tech-reviews/28-x5660-review?showall=&start=4

500W is the total PC power draw (all components), so we're looking at at least 350W for the CPU alone.

My i7 920 drew roughly 250W when overclocked to 3.6Ghz! That was a C0 stepping quad core.

Soldato
There's no competition so no surprise prices are creeping up, surprised they've not gone higher tbh.

Intel biggest competition is with themselves, i.e are their new chips much better then the last few generations and can they price them so people will upgrade.

Maybe Zen will shake things up but I don't trust AMD to deliver.

I have previously posted the below entry... Basically its not true that price rises (at least since sandy bridge) are down to 'no competition' it the weakening £/$ that's primarily responsible ......

Intel's high end consumer cpu pricing (in $'s) been pretty steady since at least sandybridge. Price difference (in £'s) is down to exchange rates and previously shortages of skylake cpu's in retail channels....

The current 6700k price doesn't reflect any recent increase in price from intel.

Check out the launch bulk prices (i.e. what Intel sell on to retailers OEM’s etc) for the previous ‘top end’ i7 consumer socket four core/ eight thread CPU’s over the past four years

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85...-14nm-skylake/

Launch 1ku prices

6700k $350 - August 2015
5775c $366
4790k $339
4770k $339
3770k $313
2700k $332 - October 2011

Allowing for inflation (http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ ) from 2011 to 2015 plugging the 2700k value in gives an inflation adjusted price of…………………….

Drum roll

$351.20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibbo had this to say recently about the 4790k....

The pound is a lot weaker now, all components are purchased in USD and Intel have not changed their USD cost to us, all that changed is the pound got weaker.

Obviously an unlocked hyper threaded i3 would represent a new product of sorts and so may well be priced above previous i3's (in dollars)

Last edited:
Soldato
X58 xeons guzzle power (and thus produce massive amounts of heat) when overclocked.

RYJBMQk.png

Source: http://www.overclock-and-game.com/hardware/computer-tech-reviews/28-x5660-review?showall=&start=4

500W is the total PC power draw (all components), so we're looking at at least 350W for the CPU alone.

My i7 920 drew roughly 250W when overclocked to 3.6Ghz! That was a C0 stepping quad core.
My PC drew 150 W when idle with my old i7-920 @ 4 GHz. I don't expect it to be much different with my X5650 @ 4 GHz. SpeedStep and C-States means it's clocked lower at idle remember.

Associate
I remember this type of review popping up just before they released the 6700k and the DC 4790k and the majority topped out at a 48 multi. Just more of the same with Intel Cpu`s . If you do not want to pay the over top prices just pick one of the older Cpu`s you will still get the same performance and if you go S/H you will save a lot from buying of the Bay.

Back
Top Bottom