• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k Tested at Tom's Hardware

Soldato
Soldato
AMD has the best chance they had for a very long time with Zen - so I really hope they can get something reasonable released!! Its literally Intel giving them a chance by still using 14NM and Skylake desktop CPUs.

Associate
So it's... an overclocked 6700k with a different IGP (that nobody will use aside from troubleshooting anyway).

I hope Zen is decent.

Soldato
still cant justify upgrading from my clocked 2600k

give me a beastly octocore chip running at a decent clip and i'll be all over it,

Soldato
Something can't be right here, I doubt Intel are stupid enough to release a CPU so energy inefficient compared to the previous generation.

I suspect there was an issue with the BIOS version on his Z170 board, probably some bug.

Hilariously disappointing if not though.

Associate
OP
I guess we have to wait for more reviews, maybe they just got a dud. :)

To be clear this isn't a review. The chip hasn't been released yet - I guess somebody in the supply chain got a hold of this one and sent it to them. It may be an engineering sample instead of an engineering unit. They may have been running early, crappy firmware on their z170 board. In other words, there are lots of reasons that the actual retail 7700k may perform better than this.

Soldato
To be clear this isn't a review. The chip hasn't been released yet - I guess somebody in the supply chain got a hold of this one and sent it to them. It may be an engineering sample instead of an engineering unit. They may have been running early, crappy firmware on their z170 board. In other words, there are lots of reasons that the actual retail 7700k may perform better than this.

What makes you so sure that this isn't representative of a retail CPU?
Intel are hardly known for massive performance increases between generations.

Associate
OP
What makes you so sure that this isn't representative of a retail CPU?
Intel are hardly known for massive performance increases between generations.

I'm not sure - that's the point really. If I had to guess I'd say that their results are probably fairly accurate, but they might not be.

Soldato
The i7-4790K is listed as being faster than the i7-6700K so I don't think those scores are terribly trustworthy. Presumably people submit scores all the time with different clocks and that doesn't get factored in properly.

I think your right in that they are average user scores. That said the two cpus 4790 and 6700 are so close in performance they are 'identical'.

The kaby lake one does seem a little better than the usual tiny increase though.

Soldato
Cpus have been improving at such a pitiful rate in the last 5 years :(

I can't believe i still have my 2500k bought for £150 about five years ago!

I thought we'd at least have mainstream 6 and 8 core chips by now even if the ipc and frequency hadn't changed much.

I'm planning to get a 7700k though, as much for the more modern platform as pure cpu performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom