Plex/Fuse VPS suggestions

Soldato
My plan is to replicate the Plex Cloud beta using Amazon and FUSE with a VPS moving my personal Plex set-up off site and saving power/storage costs. In theory that gives unlimited encrypted storage without the hardware outlay and power overheads, i'll combine this with a VPS running without a transfer data cap and 100mbit. I don't need a lot of storage on the VPS, but it needs to allow FUSE and be OK with running Plex, I won't be trans-coding anything as I control the hardware that's paired.

I've run this locally for years without issue, but i've now reached the point where my 10mbit uplink is starting to get maxed on occasion and this seems like a reasonable solution relative to the ongoing cost to buy/run hardware.

*edit* Perhaps this may have been better in the server section?

Last edited:
Soldato
I went through an exercise of trying this all out (just vanilla acd_cli without encryption) but it didn't perform well with occasional stuttering in complex scenes. Everything was optimal, plenty of bandwidth, direct play, wired connections but it just didn't cut it. I suspect the problem was between my ISP and OVH as the connection between OVH and ACD was very quick indeed.

My suggestion is just to try it out and see if it works for you. You can get a 3 month trial of ACD and your typical VPS is only a few £ each month.

I'm going to give plex cloud a go but otherwise i'll be biting the bullet and go on a deleting spree.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice :) I'll have a play about and see what works/doesn't, most of the examples i've read this far are US based so I figured i'd see if anyone had already found a good combo over here before I had a go.

Back
Top Bottom