Finally fibre installed! Would you pay £49.99 per month for this?

Associate
After being one of the first properties to get ADSL in Hull many years ago, KCOM have rolled out fibre to the property down my road. £49.99 per mth for 250Mbs download, 30mbs upload and 700GB per month, inc line rental and anytime free calls to UK landlines, and a free AC1600 Zxyel VM395 router.

KCOM is the only fibre & ADSL ISP provider in Hull at the moment and it is rolling out 100% FTTP. Some dark fibre has been installed but no other ISP's are rolling out full city wide coverage.

How does package compare to what is available elsewhere in the country? Is it good value?

Soldato
Nice. But unless it's unlimited data. It's a no go for me. Do I use 700 gig a month. Probably not. But restrictions on data, usage would bug me senseless.

Caporegime
£60 for 100Mbps unlimited is a decent price I think. I'd trade outright speed for not having to limit my activities online any day of the week - for instance fast connections enable online backup and cloud storage, but a 700GB cap could make restoring an entire machine from a cloud backup a non-starter.

Soldato
I'd also prefer slightly less speed for unlimited data. I'd happily pay £60 for unlimited 100mbit

Associate
OP
I find my unlimited, 75mb download more than adequate. Plus landline/weekend. Especially at £18.40 a month.

Sadly in Hull we have very little competition for fibre/adsl, there are other providers who will provide Wireless solutions which are being connected to fibre backbones. I didn't want a transceiver/dish installing on the roof like other people have done near me.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I don't think I'd be happy paying that much as it's not *that* fast for FTTP (why is the upload low?). I'm on a 100/100 package with Hyperoptic (FTTB) and that's £22 PCM. 1000/1000 was an option at £32 PCM. These are unlimited data packages.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
There's no land line as such (I've just got an ethernet cable that runs to the switch in the basement), but there is a phone package included in that which is VoIP based. You cab opt not to have the VoIP stuff but that ends up being more expensive. *shrug* never used mine.

Soldato
There's no land line as such (I've just got an ethernet cable that runs to the switch in the basement), but there is a phone package included in that which is VoIP based. You cab opt not to have the VoIP stuff but that ends up being more expensive. *shrug* never used mine.

Yeh, hardly use my landline these days. Somewhat illogically, it was cheaper for me to have the landline included than not.

Soldato
Nice speeds but I'd need unlimited data as I clear over 800GB a month usually.

Only worry I'd have with it being new is that the more people who join the network how likely is your speed to drop due to over utilization etc?

Back
Top Bottom