Ethernet connection issue - Virgin Superhub 3

Associate
Hi - wondering if anyone here has had issues or has any suggestions on how I can remedy my problem.

We have a Virgin superhub 3 in the living room hooked up to the TV etc. No issues whatsoever. The problem is with my pc upstairs which is connected to the router through 2 TP link gigabit power line adapters.

My pc will not connect like this. The connection says "identifying network" and never connects. Diagnosing it states that the hub isn't giving it an ip address.

I've deleted and re-installed the ethernet driver on the PC. I've changed the cables. I've swapped the adapters round. I've reset the hub. It seems quite a common issue when searched online but there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere.

I did see that a few people had bought aftermarket routers and this seemed to fix the problem by setting the superhub into modem mode.

Does anyone have any ideas and if you think buying a third party router would help - do you have any suggestions. It's doing my head in now so any help is really appreciated.

Alex

Associate
OP
I don't have a long enough cable to try and my pc is a water-cooled monster of a thing. Every other thing connected directly to the the router works fine - amazon fire box, Ps4, smart TV.

Associate
OP
So - I've reset the powerline adapters - no joy.

Tried a different PC up stairs and same error - however plugging that PC direct to the hub the connection was fine so leads me to think maybe dodgy powerline adapter. Going to swap them out with a different set later and see if that makes a difference. Failing that I will just have to explain to the Mrs why i need a 10m LAN cable running through the house.....

Soldato
It's worth a try, the client might just not be able to discover the DHCP server.

Only take a few secs.

Once configured you can try a ping to the router which will confirm if the adapters are working correctly or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
So how would I try that then?

If you router is 192.168.1.1 then use the settings below

Control Panel > Network and Internet > View network status and tasks
In left pane, Change adapter settings
Right-click on the network card and Properties
Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 and Properties

Check Use the following IP address.

IP address : 192.168.1.50 (should be free)
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (router's IP)

DNS1 : 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS)
DNS2 : 8.8.4.4

Soldato
Throw them in the bin and get a long cable installed. Cheaper and 1000x better.

Well sure, cable will always be better but not always possible.

The static IP not working shows that the powerline adapters aren't working, either they're broken or they're not pairing, have you tried them physically closer together like in the same room?

Last edited:
Soldato
You could try a wireless adapter in the PC if a cable is out of the question.

In some rooms my Wifi has higher bandwidth than powerline adpater, all depends on how your place is wired and location of router etc.

Back
Top Bottom