• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this 6800k clock ok?

Soldato
Hey all.

Bought my 6800k last week and have ZERO need to speed it up but why the hell not :D

Due to me being a bit over excited when i upgraded, I purchased some corsair dominator ram not giving two thoughts on clearance with my H100i. Well, it doesnt fit and I hastily popped out to my local techy shop and picked up the cheapest 120mm AIO i could get (coolermaster seidon 120v.)

Now... I'm coming from sandy bridge so its been a LONG time since I overclocked a new CPU so just looking for opinions/advice.

I've currently got my chip running at 1.275v at 4.2ghz stable with max temp on one core being 59c. Is this a good result? Not tried pushing harder as I've read past 4.2ghz temps go a bit mental (especially with a 120mm AIO lol).

How low on the volts at 4.2ghz would be considered a good chip? Just getting an idea of what kind of volts is expected.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
With my cooling being limited i cant really push on past 4.2ghz but i'd love to try in the future. Now got her sitting at 4.2ghz at 1.255v stable through realbench.

Pretty happy with that.

Soldato
Just try pushing it further and if it heats up stop the test and go back. A little more heat won't do any damage, worst case cpu will shut down but you are a long way from that even at present.

Associate
Hey all.

Bought my 6800k last week and have ZERO need to speed it up but why the hell not :D

Due to me being a bit over excited when i upgraded, I purchased some corsair dominator ram not giving two thoughts on clearance with my H100i. Well, it doesnt fit and I hastily popped out to my local techy shop and picked up the cheapest 120mm AIO i could get (coolermaster seidon 120v.)

Now... I'm coming from sandy bridge so its been a LONG time since I overclocked a new CPU so just looking for opinions/advice.

I've currently got my chip running at 1.275v at 4.2ghz stable with max temp on one core being 59c. Is this a good result? Not tried pushing harder as I've read past 4.2ghz temps go a bit mental (especially with a 120mm AIO lol).

How low on the volts at 4.2ghz would be considered a good chip? Just getting an idea of what kind of volts is expected.

Cheers

Core voltage is just one small part off overclocking a 6800k, for example, mine will happily do 4.5/4.6 but its not as simple as dialing in a certain amout of vcore and hoping its stable.

Need a screen shot of your bios settings really, what have you set the cpu input voltage to ? , are you running XMP ?

Soldato
OP
What's cache clocking all about then? I've got loads of setting I've never heard of before and no guides online for my evga micro2.

To be honest I think 4.2ghz is plenty, rather not wear the chip down as I plan on keeping it for at least 3 years.

My 2500k was clocked to 4.7ghz from day one back in 2012 and in the last year I had to knock it to 4.5ghz to keep it stable at the same volts as 4.7. It started to get warmer as well.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest I think 4.2ghz is plenty, rather not wear the chip down as I plan on keeping it for at least 3 years.

Does your mobo allow adaptive voltage control and per core turbo boost OC?

I set a static value for my CPU core voltage while stabilising my OC. Then when I was happy with stress testing etc I set the base clock back to the default (36 @ 100 strap). Then I set the max CPU voltage to the value my OC required (1.297v) and enabled adaptive voltage in the BIOS with the tubo boost overclock (4.3) set on each core.

This way your only applying the higher voltage to your chip when the load requires it - but make sure you check the mobo BIOS supports setting max vcore with adaptive enabled. I assume all mobos would for x99 but I'm not familiar enough with the platform.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does your mobo allow adaptive voltage control and per core turbo boost OC?

I set a static value for my CPU core voltage while stabilising my OC. Then when I was happy with stress testing etc I set the base clock back to the default (36 @ 100 strap). Then I set the max CPU voltage to the value my OC required (1.297v) and enabled adaptive voltage in the BIOS with the tubo boost overclock (4.3) set on each core.

This way your only applying the higher voltage to your chip when the load requires it - but make sure you check the mobo BIOS supports setting max vcore with adaptive enabled. I assume all mobos would for x99 but I'm not familiar enough with the platform.

I have already done this although havent updated this thread since. Temps nice and low :)

Back
Top Bottom