Powerline Adaptors

Associate
Hi guys I wondered if anyone can help me.

Just bought a new house and my set up is:

Fibre box and router is in the cupboard under the stairs. The router is a techincolour MediaAccess TG589vac router supplied by my provider.

In the living room I have my Sky HD, PS4 and Xbox One. Upstairs I have my PC and an Xbox One S.

I bought powerline adapters to get decent wired speeds to all 5 devices.

The first pair I purchased were TP-Link TL-PA8030P KIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Pass Through upto 1200.

Then I purchased the TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Pass Through up to 2000 as I needed 2 ports up stairs and these were cheaper than the 3 port ones.

If I am just using the 3 port ones I am getting great speeds. 200 to 300Mbps down and 100Mbps up and likewise if just use the 2 port ones. Compared to wireless where I get 50Mbps down and 50Mbps up.

The issue comes when combining the 3 ports with the 2 ports in all configurations. I am getting 90% less speeds.

Before I go and buy another set of the 3 ports do you think this is compatibility issues or simply the line doesn't like more than 2 powerline adapters.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
The slower adapters will be restricting the speeds of the faster ones, but it could just as easily be caused by other issues such as interference. Have you tried checking the TP Link website for firmware updates for the adapters?

Associate
I've not used TP-Link Powerline adapters but I have 3 Denovo ones and they work the same whether there are 2 or 3 of them connected.

Soldato
Bledd nailed it.

I'd point out the lack of anything on your lan likely to benefit from a faster connection, the WAN bottleneck, the waste of buying multiport vs using switches etc. but it's largely irrelevant. If you want a fast reliable connection then run a cable, it's usually a lot cheaper and will give you the full 1000mbit/125MB/s rather than the variation Powerline will manage and the fun of trying to work out what's been plugged in that's causing noise on a circuit/what version of hardware/firmware might cause two different sets of adapters not to play nicely together.

Back
Top Bottom