• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade 3670k to 3770k or wait for kaby?

Associate
hey all. sorry if this question has been asked before. i would want to game at 4k resolution..wondering if its worth sticking with my 3570k or upgrade to a new cpu and chipset entirely. im currently on a single 980ti but will be on a 1080 soon.

Associate
From various early benchmarks, it seems that Kabylake has some really minor performance gains. Maybe like 2 fps in games. However, as it's new there will be an early adopter premium, so will cost more than it should at first.

If I were you, I would go for

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18758178&page=1

It's not on offer at the moment, but 8 pack said (on page 6) that the offer is returning...

"But we are bringing it back on the 28th of December in limited numbers"

That's what I would buy. Skylake overclocked seems to be quite similar to Kabylake overclocked, but that deal is completely unbeatable on price. An i5 3570k isn't really capable of 4k at playable fps. I would also perhaps wait a bit before changing from 980ti to a 1080, as although not super closer they aren't that far. AMD's upcoming GPU's in early next year may prompt Nvidia to release their 1080ti cards which are rumored to be in the works. Who knows, maybe AMD's new gpu's might even beat the 1080/1080ti.

Below is the 'leaked' performance of an i7 7700k:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...00k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From various early benchmarks, it seems that Kabylake has some really minor performance gains. Maybe like 2 fps in games. However, as it's new there will be an early adopter premium, so will cost more than it should at first.

If I were you, I would go for

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18758178&page=1

It's not on offer at the moment, but 8 pack said (on page 6) that the offer is returning...

"But we are bringing it back on the 28th of December in limited numbers"

That's what I would buy. Skylake overclocked seems to be quite similar to Kabylake overclocked, but that deal is completely unbeatable on price. An i5 3570k isn't really capable of 4k at playable fps. I would also perhaps wait a bit before changing from 980ti to a 1080, as although not super closer they aren't that far. AMD's upcoming GPU's in early next year may prompt Nvidia to release their 1080ti cards which are rumored to be in the works. Who knows, maybe AMD's new gpu's might even beat the 1080/1080ti.

Below is the 'leaked' performance of an i7 7700k:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...00k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html

iv already got the 1080 coming. it was offerd to me as a replacement for my other 980ti in my rig that malfunctioned on me. and since they didient stock 980tis anymore i was offerd the 1080 instead. unfortunatly i had to send it back as there was noticible signs of damange on the rad and the screws along with the holes did not sem to aline properly with the fan..it was an Inno3d watercooled card. so im waiting for the other replacment but as of now im still running a 980ti

Associate
iv already got the 1080 coming. it was offerd to me as a replacement for my other 980ti in my rig that malfunctioned on me. and since they didient stock 980tis anymore i was offerd the 1080 instead. unfortunatly i had to send it back as there was noticible signs of damange on the rad and the screws along with the holes did not sem to aline properly with the fan..it was an Inno3d watercooled card. so im waiting for the other replacment but as of now im still running a 980ti

Fair enough. 980ti/1080 plays 4k well, but I was assuming you were wanting to go for max settings 4k/60fps all the time sort of 4k.

Associate
OP
Fair enough. 980ti/1080 plays 4k well, but I was assuming you were wanting to go for max settings 4k/60fps all the time sort of 4k.

yes i do thats why im wondering if i should go for a full upgrade motherbord cpu the works.. or just switch my i5 3570k to a i7 3770k and some faster memory

Associate
yes i do thats why im wondering if i should go for a full upgrade motherbord cpu the works.. or just switch my i5 3570k to a i7 3770k and some faster memory

An i7 3770k can't do 4k properly either, and anyway I wouldnt bother with such a small upgrade anyway. To do 4k you will need a lot faster pc in general, so a lot faster CPU etc

Associate
OP
An i7 3770k can't do 4k properly either, and anyway I wouldnt bother with such a small upgrade anyway. To do 4k you will need a lot faster pc in general, so a lot faster CPU etc

ok is it worth going to an x99 chip insted of a z170? im totaly out of track with what chips and cpus are like now as its been 5 years iv had this setup. graphics cards being the only thing iv upgraded.

Soldato
hey all. sorry if this question has been asked before. i would want to game at 4k resolution..wondering if its worth sticking with my 3570k or upgrade to a new cpu and chipset entirely. im currently on a single 980ti but will be on a 1080 soon.

Hmm. An overclocked 7700k @ 4.8Ghz or 5.0Ghz would be a decent upgrade, though I wouldn't buy a new CPU this close to AMD's Zen release.

Zen has the potential to shake up prices massively, worth waiting to see what happens IMO.

Associate

Since when it's the CPU that's responsible for resolution.? The only limiting factor would be pci-e gen 2 if anything.

If your CPU can do 60fps at 720p then it will do it just as well at 4K if the GPU have enough power.

Associate
Since when it's the CPU that's responsible for resolution.? The only limiting factor would be pci-e gen 2 if anything.

If your CPU can do 60fps at 720p then it will do it just as well at 4K if the GPU have enough power.

No, it doesn't work like that at all. The CPU bottleneck would be so large that although 4k games could be rendered, it wouldn't be anywhere near a playable fps (60fps). CPU power does definitely determine game performance.

Associate
No, it doesn't work like that at all. The CPU bottleneck would be so large that although 4k games could be rendered, it wouldn't be anywhere near a playable fps (60fps). CPU power does definitely determine game performance.

Game performance is obviously cpu dependent but not resolution.
Again if your cpu can run a game at 60fps it will do so regardless of resolution.

Associate
OP
well when i had my sli 980tis i was able to run a few games at 4k but not others. currently on one 980ti i can run some games on 4k..dunno how much better the 1080 will perform though. looking at a video online .some guy playing gta v at 4k on 1 1080 and for the most part he is gettin 60fps with dips but he is on an i7 6800k. i dunno how much a of a dif my cpu will be in comparison to that. but he shows sli 1080s later in the video and is well over 100fps at 4k. but he ses there is no point in getting anything less then a 6800k as it will be a bottleneck...i have no idea if he is right though. im no expert.

bru

bru

Soldato
I haven't seen it mentioned.

Are you overclocking your i5 3570k ?

If you are what are you running it at ?

If it is anything over 4.5GHz then don't bother upgrading the CPU at the moment, wait till after Zen arrives to see what happens to pricing across the board.

Associate
OP
I haven't seen it mentioned.

Are you overclocking your i5 3570k ?

If you are what are you running it at ?

If it is anything over 4.5GHz then don't bother upgrading the CPU at the moment, wait till after Zen arrives to see what happens to pricing across the board.

i was running it at 4.5 to start wtih but earlyer this year my system started crashing and causing issues..so iv had to dial it down and leave it at 4.3ghz as that seems to be as stable as i can get it. and my temps were hot. being 5 years using this now.maybe more

Associate
he ses there is no point in getting anything less then a 6800k as it will be a bottleneck...i have no idea if he is right though. im no expert.

The only popular game right now that's benefiting from more than 4 cores is Battlefield 1 MP so I can't see how anything less than 6800K will bottleneck 1080 SLI. In 99.9% of games 6700K will outperform 6800K even when running TITAN XP SLI.
6800K hasn't got enough pcie lanes to run both cards at 16x pcie.

Associate
OP
The only popular game right now that's benefiting from more than 4 cores is Battlefield 1 MP so I can't see how anything less than 6800K will bottleneck 1080 SLI. In 99.9% of games 6700K will outperform 6800K even when running TITAN XP SLI.
6800K hasn't got enough pcie lanes to run both cards at 16x pcie.

well thats good to know as thats the cheaper option.

bru

bru

Soldato
i was running it at 4.5 to start wtih but earlyer this year my system started crashing and causing issues..so iv had to dial it down and leave it at 4.3ghz as that seems to be as stable as i can get it. and my temps were hot. being 5 years using this now.maybe more

Even at 4.3 I would wait to see what the new intel and AMD stuff does to prices.

I would possibly remove clean and re-paste the cooler on your chip as that might help no end.

Soldato
With the slow improvement in ipc and clockspeed, I'm thinking things will become more and more multi threaded.

I reckon a 6800k would be a better long term prospect than a 6700k.

I'm pretty much on the fence between getting a 6800k now and waiting for the 7700k.

Associate
OP
With the slow improvement in ipc and clockspeed, I'm thinking things will become more and more multi threaded.

I reckon a 6800k would be a better long term prospect than a 6700k.

I'm pretty much on the fence between getting a 6800k now and waiting for the 7700k.

well i was originally planing to wait for kaby lake.

Back
Top Bottom