Home centre tablet

Soldato
I've got a tablet arriving today to sit on a wall near the kitchen as a 'home centre'. Don't know what else you'd call it, but basically just a touch screen to easily control our Philips Hue lights, Nest and Spotify via Bluetooth.

I don't know if someone is using something for similar but are there any other cool/useful apps (Android)? Thinking like a shopping list app or something to note down items when they've run out that then syncs with our phones.

Also can one device connect to multiple Bluetooth speakers, either natively or via 3rd party app? I would be interested in connecting to two Bose speakers.

Other ideas appreciated!

Soldato
Google Keep can share notes to various people, and is avaliable on iOS as well. It can do list notes which is handy for shopping too.

Might be worth checking Chromecast audio, I don't know if bluetooth can do multiple speakers simultaneously but Chromecast audio allows you to group speakers together to play audio at the same time. It will also open up more options on speakers as well as all it needs is a 3.5mm input port.

You can maybe also use Google calendar and share a calendar to the rest of the people so you know when they'll be out of the house, when they work, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I use mine to control Kodi via the remote app and also control my Squeezebox setup using Orange Squeeze and AutoSqueeze.

Also monitor CCTV cameras.

If you are a bit handy with Tasker, then there is a plugin (currently in beta) which will allow to interface with web APIs. Including Logitech Harmony remotes, Kodi (again), Spotify, automation stuff like Z-Wave, LIFX, Hue, Pushbullet.

That way you can run multiple tasks from a button on the desktop. e.g. Dim lights, start playing a playlist.

Back
Top Bottom