New essential Android apps thread

Associate
Been meaning to post/ask this since I got the S7 edge (one release) - I swapped to a Samsung S7 edge from a Sony device that I'd been using for about 3 1/2 years (I had the Xperia T) and I do love the phone, but one thing I would like back is the Sony Album Widget, I liked the ability it had to scroll through photos, and I know I could root the phone and install the actual app (http://forum.xda-developers.com/cros...2378816/page52 lol)

but I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that have the same (or better) function?

Soldato
I've not used the FTP feature but I have set up a windows share on the PC which I can access on my phone with Solid Explorer. File transfers speeds were around 1MB/s which is useless. What sort of speeds were you getting?

Derp, only just noticed this, my bad. I'm seeing 12MB/s peak depending on the file size. Using gigabit on my desktop and wireless ac on my 6P.

Associate
Could you be more specific? I thought all albums let you scroll through photo's... how else do you see the photo's?

It had a widget you could add to the home screen that let you flick through photos without having to actually open them - small think I know but I did find it handy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IKqQAlRXIc

from about 2.58-3.32 in this video (literally the first video I seen with it displayed so I'm sure there is a better video but you get the idea :))

Caporegime
For those of you using Cerberus and an unrooted Galaxy phone, how do you stop this?

jOEQwQj.png

I'm using an S6 Edge and a few days ago a security notification started appearing on my lock screen telling me I need to uninstall Cerberus. If I ignore it and swipe it away, it reappears after a minute or so. I can't seem to find a way to whitelist the app. Any ideas? :confused:

Man of Honour
Looks like your phone came with some baked in bloatware from Intel Security or something? Or did you enable some of the Samsung KNOX based apps? I've not seen that at all on my S7 edge. I too use Cerberus.

Caporegime
I'm not sure really. I've had two S6s and both came with the Smart Manager device security thing already set up as far as I'm aware. No KNOX. It's always been absolutely fine though up until a few days ago.

enXqJhZ.png

Think I'll reinstall Cerberus.

Associate
I'm not sure really. I've had two S6s and both came with the Smart Manager device security thing already set up as far as I'm aware. No KNOX. It's always been absolutely fine though up until a few days ago.

enXqJhZ.png

Think I'll reinstall Cerberus.
Disabling device security in Smart Manager might resolve it, haven't got it enabled on mine and looks like the standout difference.

Soldato
Quick question - is there a way to pause email sync for Exchange in the MS Outlook app on an S7. I use it for my work mail but want to be able to stop syncing on weekends and holidays etc. I can't find a way to pause or stop the sync short of removing the accoutn anywhere, by poreference I would like to switch sync to manual when i'm out of the office.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
A number of key features in QuickPic (the re-signed version without the carp) that are not in Leafpic. I'll wait for updates, but i don't think it will beat QuickPic. The loading speed of albums and then individual images is much slower as well.

Associate
Noticed that Dotemu have released Titan Quest for Android so picked it up as it is one of my favourite old PC games.

Installed on my Nexus 9 and it is not a bad port at all, few bugs and the occasional crash but it is great to see more classic PC games being ported and I am enjoying playing through it again on a tablet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom