Any network offer similar to "Sure Signal"

Soldato
Do any other networks offer consumer level femtocell's similar to the Vodafone Sure Signal?
I live in an area that gets poor signal from nearly every mobile provider. I get around this with the Sure Signal, however that does rather limit me to Vodafone.
Just wondering if there are any other networks that offer similar?

Also, I love the idea of mobile over WiFi, that alone would defeat the requirement for a femtocell for me. However this only seems to be an option if I'm buying a handset at the same time - something to do with "special" builds of network software on handsets.
No network offering calls over Wi-Fi via SIM-Only I'm assuming?

Associate
Do any other networks offer consumer level femtocell's similar to the Vodafone Sure Signal?
I live in an area that gets poor signal from nearly every mobile provider. I get around this with the Sure Signal, however that does rather limit me to Vodafone.

Also, I love the idea of mobile over WiFi, that alone would defeat the requirement for a femtocell for me. However this only seems to be an option if I'm buying a handset at the same time - something to do with "special" builds of network software on handsets.

I got one from three. Although I had to shout at them for a while as they wanted me to use their wifi app but I couldnt (windows phone :D).
There are rumours of a new BT hub which will have one inside for BT Mobile customers too.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Vodafone are the only people who actively advertise it. EE, O2, and Three will give them to you if you moan, although some of them are quite costly, £89 on EE I believe, whereas voda charged me £20 back in the day as I was on a high contract.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.
Very basically my "at home" coverage is terrible. I can make voice calls but there is always the risk it will drop out.
Our town is covered, but I seem to be on an "island of poor signal" :)

The Sure Signal has been great, cannot fault it. However if an app that allows me to do calls over wireless is available for some networks I'll be happy. I'm running a Nexus 5 and my wife a Moto G - so both relatively modern devices.

Vodafone are OK, but I've noticed recently I'll be stuck on an E or G connection when somebody with me will be flying around on 3G or H.

I currently pay £17/month for unlimited calls and text and 2GB data.
Any recommendations on best network for data coverage?
I've got free SIM's on the way from O2, 3 and EE to try - I'll do a one-off payment to each and walk around with the phone for a bit and check coverage.

Soldato
three are best for data coverage (definitely not speed however!) and as others have said they have an android app which lets you make calls over wifi.

Soldato

If you pick yourself up a new phone, they generally support WiFi calling out of the box, i.e. you don't need the network's firmware. This may be only for the latest flagship models though (S7, iPhone 6, etc.) so not cheap, but WiFi calling is awesome.

I get 0 signal where I live and WiFi calling has fixed all that & I can have it on a cheap sim only :D

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/wifi-calling

WiFi Calling is available on all versions of the iPhone 5c and later models of the iPhone, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL and HTC 10.

It's only available on the EE version of all other Android and Windows devices, which can only be bought directly from us in one of our stores, online, or through our telesales team. At present other Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers will not be able to support WiFi Calling.

So on EE, if you have the iPhone 5c or later, S7, etc. then you can get WiFi calling with the stock firmware on a sim only contract. I have my S7 Edge on a £5pm contract and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Z5 on EE and the WiFi calling is brilliant.

Although I got it from EE, I fail to see any difference in the phone software/UI from non-EE firmwares.... There was absolutely NO visible network software/bloat on the phone when I got it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the posts. EE seems great, alas I don't have one of the flagship phones, nor does my wife - we tend to move networks together and it would be ideal to be able to retire the Sure Signal if we both moved away.
I have an old Nexus 5 and my wife a Moto G (3rd Gen) so they wouldn't work with EE.
At present it seems three is the best option as they have an app that would enable me to do WiFi calling on both our handsets.

I've got a three SIM ordered, so I can see what kind of general signal I get whilst out and about.

Associate
EE really didn't want to give me one, but I proved that WiFi calling on an EE-branded S6 just didn't work properly, and they had no other option. Didn't charge me a penny, but it took 6 weeks of persistence to get it!

Back
Top Bottom