BBC to end Formula 1 television contract early

Associate
BBC Sport is to "reluctantly" end its Formula 1 television contract three years early as part of savings across the corporation.

The BBC's F1 broadcast rights will cease from next season.

"The current financial position of the BBC means some tough and unwanted choices have to be made," said Barbara Slater, the BBC's director of sport.

However, BBC Radio 5 live has extended its commentary rights for F1 until the 2021 season.

BBC Sport broadcast 10 live races of Briton Lewis Hamilton's world championship-winning season in 2015 with a one-hour build-up to each grands prix. It also offered extensive highlights of the nine other races.

But as part of a £150m gap in the corporation's finances from next year, BBC Sport was asked to deliver £35m of savings.

"A significant chunk of BBC Sport's savings target will be delivered through the immediate termination of our TV rights agreement for Formula 1," added Slater.

"Any decision to have to stop broadcasting a particular sport or sporting event is hugely disappointing and taken reluctantly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35149963

Cost cutting, excellent, next Strictly Come Dancing? Can't wait! ;)

Soldato
Just reading it.

Can't say I am surprised nor would I be surprised if Wimbledon is the next to go.

I hope C4 takes it over and give it a little "Youth" view, draw in younger audience to this modern era of F1, as EJ just annoys the nuts out of me.

Caporegime
Strickly (and all 'Reality' shows) are cheap, as they make money from idiots phoning in.

This was always going to be the end result once the License Fee funding was frozen and they initially started seeking a way out of their contract. Its good that its staying on a Free to Air channel though.

Soldato
Just reading it.

Can't say I am surprised nor would I be surprised if Wimbledon is the next to go.

I hope C4 takes it over and give it a little "Youth" view, draw in younger audience to this modern era of F1, as EJ just annoys the nuts out of me.

I don't see them losing Wimbledon. They have very little sport on now, they've lost golf majors to Sky, the Grand National to C4, no live football other than the odd FA cup game..

Caporegime
Yet they'll quite happily splash the cash on twee, middle-class sports like the Davis Cup or women's football.

This decision is largely irrelevant to me anyway, F1 just hasn't been the same since they split the rights between the BBC and Sky.

Associate
They've promised no adverts during the race.

Bah that promise is not worth the paper it's written on. I would not be surprised they change their mind. I am very upset by this news as I think the BBC coverage is excellent along with the presenters and commentators :mad: I wonder how many people are going to loose their jobs?

Caporegime
Yet they'll quite happily splash the cash on twee, middle-class sports like the Davis Cup or women's football.

This decision is largely irrelevant to me anyway, F1 just hasn't been the same since they split the rights between the BBC and Sky.

splash the cash ?

Like women's football costs anything like F1. The sport they do show is only shown because its cheap. And not to mention the women's football they do show was the world cup, same as they do for the mens. I'm sure it must cost money, but the prize for winning the women's world cup was $2 million compared to $35 million for the men's event.

So you'd expect the cost of TV rights to be at least 1/10th of what the men's event would cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
As long as F1 is free to air I don't really see it matters too much. But it all depends so much on the quality of the team that C4 allocate.

After being a big F1 fan in the 90/00s I have found myself missing quite a few races and just looking at the results.

I wonder if in 5 years this will be seen as the beginning of the end.

Caporegime
As long as F1 is free to air I don't really see it matters too much. But it all depends so much on the quality of the team that C4 allocate.

After being a big F1 fan in the 90/00s I have found myself missing quite a few races and just looking at the results.

I wonder if in 5 years this will be seen as the beginning of the end.

Not really

You've got two separate issues here

1) F1 is becoming less interesting to watch. Costs were supposed to be coming down to make it easier for the lower teams, but the top ranked teams have no interest in making a spectator sport, F1 is a business for them.

2) The BBC is strapped for cash and having to drop lots of stuff. BBC Three is going for example, so they needed to drop expensive things like F1 coverage.

#1 could lead to the end of F1 as we know it however.

Caporegime
Incoming adverts during the race if sky is the only uk f1 broadcasters?

Surprise surprise. We need some more cheap quiz/reality shows. So will sky just take the remaining contract?

Channel 4 have picked up the deal, with 10 live races and the rest highlights only. With Channel 4 (at the moment) promising no adverts during the race.

Soldato
Gutted really as i liked it on the BBC. I honestly didnt see this coming so soon!

No adverts? I believe it when i see it. Hated F1 on ITV. Was a joke to have ads during the race!

I wont pay for Sky just to watch F1 though. We have Freeview only.

Will be looking for a way to watch now online!

Back
Top Bottom