Australian Grand Prix 2016, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Man of Honour
kqeRtSQ.png

Melbourne

When Formula One came to Australia in 1985 it set up home in Adelaide. However, ex-racer-turned-entrepreneur Bob Jane wanted a race in Melbourne. He created a huge 'thunderdome' and invented the AUSCAR series, bringing NASCAR action to Australia.

The desire to have a race in Melbourne did not wane. Despite the popular end of season slot for the Adelaide race, pressure was growing from the Melbourne motor sport community, and in 1992 Jeff Kennett was elected the new premier of the State of Victoria. He immediately set about improving Melbourne's profile. First on his list was the Australian Grand Prix.

An agreement was reached with Formula One in 1993, but the contract with Adelaide did not expire until 1995, so Kennett had plenty of time to prepare.

A track was developed in Melbourne's beautiful Albert Park, part of it using closed-off public roads, and in 1996 the city held the first round of the world championship.

Since then the race has become very popular with drivers and fans alike, and the party atmosphere of Melbourne keeps them coming back year after year.

TV Times

Sky:
Hht7ujT.png

C4:
Thursday 9pm Guy Martin F1 special (DC in a Red Bull vs GM on a motorbike in a series of challenges (slalom, acceleration etc))
Friday 9pm-9.05 Formula 1: Fast and Furious - preview of Ch4's coverage.
Saturday Qualifying 12.30pm-2.15pm
Sunday Race Highlights 1.30pm-4.00pm

Track Diagram & Information

IQJs6i8.png

Weather Forecast

ygvynwN.png

2016 Driver Lineup

1oXKjcI.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/3/Onboard_Pole_Position_Lap.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/3/Australia_Race_Edit.html

Australia Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...tes---red-bull--renault--williams---more.html

WDC Standings

lzyKA1D.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

waR7D0c.png

Pole Positions & Winners Per Grand Prix

5Vp8fhr.png

Practice 1

7aECCue.png

Practice 2

82mWsF5.png

Practice 3

JDLgEFg.png

Qualifying

RUtd7bV.png

Race

4Y3U8j2.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BRING IT! :D

Will have sky setup by then, but won't have any broadband at that point, but unlimited tethering will soften the blow. ;)

Soldato
Shane on pole in his mates Ute as nobody will have a clue what's happening in Qualifying :p

Last edited:
Associate
Going to say 8 retirements, 4 penalties, 2 crashes, 1 team instruction and a Merc win. Also, a bunch of on screen "talent" that don't know the new rules correctly.

Soldato
Here we go again, must be about my 35th year now that I've tried to watch all the races live on tv. I even remember some I watched before then that had Raymond Baxter commentating...

Associate
Woohoo! We finally get to see the real pecking order.

Here's a simple enough to understand tyre rule explanation by Will Buxton.

smr

smr

Soldato
CdhF843WoAA5ysY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom