Poll: Is the 2016 F1 Qualifying format better than the 2015 format?

Is the 2016 F1 Qualifying format better than the 2015 format?

• Yes

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 204 96.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Mods, can we have a poll please?

Just a simple Yes/No. In your opinion, is this new format better than the 2015 format?

Last edited:
Soldato
All I can say is thank God I planned to be up at this time anyway!

I would be thinking about major tweaks such as...
Cars start qualifying for enough fuel for all 3 sessions and have cars weighed to verify that (e.g. Manor can't start with enough just for Q1, thinking they will be eliminated there), cars get lighter as qualifying progresses
Cars must stay out until they are eliminated or a session ends, otherwise their time is null and void
Cars can complete their current flying lap when the elimination timer reaches zero
Cars must use a fresh set of hards in Q1, mediums in Q2, softs in Q3?

Associate
No, it was pants.

You could improve it by allocating unlimited tyres and reverting to the 'old' system for Q3 only, but really lets just go back to last years.

God only knows how you're supposed to follow it as a spectator.

Soldato
They could do with electronic displays on the side of the car, perhaps on the sides of the rear wings, giving info relevant to elimination threat, more for the benefit of track-side spectators than anything.

Associate
I've got the word 'omnishambles' stuck in my head for some reason.

It was a disappointing mess, even to someone who knew roughly what to expect and had the benefit of the TV coverage. Anyone at the track would probably have been completely bemused. It hasn't even managed to achieve the objective of shaking up the grid.

I can't see why the outcome at the next quali session would be any better, so hopefully they will revert immediately to the previous quali format and rethink.

Don
It clearly didn't work with the intention of keeping cars on track at all times. Over 3 minutes left at end of Q3 when pole had been decided was just embarrassing. Even some of the teams didn't seem to understand the new rules.

Soldato
'Fixing' something that isn't broken? Welcome to Formula 1. :o:cool:

I watched it on a later showing and I'm pretty sure that overall there were less cars and action on track.. Plus we didn't even get the exciting rush at the end!? So less excitement too. I'd say mission accomplished then.:D

Back
Top Bottom