Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Associate
Anyone any opinions on Fostex T50RP's?
I've heard they can sound a bit rubbish out of the box, but with some mods they can actually sound rather good.

Associate
OP
They don't sound bad at all. They are lacking in bass but their mids are fantastic. Treble is rolled off. They have some of the best vocal reproduction I've heard. I would describe them as overall ok sounding that need work. If you want just mids then they are your headphone.

Soldato
My Hifiman HE-400i have arrived, but can't even open them, have too much work to do first. :(

Also ordered a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp & Modi 2 Uber DAC, but hopefully that will arrive before the weekend. Will be hooking it up via PC and toslink to a chromecast audio. Hope this is all worth it!

Associate
OP
oioi!

I'm actually surprised how positive your impressions are right off the bat! usually coming from brighter, leaner headphones many have the adjustment period. I recommend keep listening to them solo for a week or so then return to your K7XX and you will see even more differences like coherency, vocal detail etc.

Enjoy!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I shall do!

I prefer the comfort of the memory foam AKG earpads though that's for sure. But like I can forgive the AKG build quality in favour of the sound, I'll forgive this for the sound too.

The K7XX got better with time, burn in? My ears adjusting to the new signature? Whatever it may be it did take a week or so to settle in, and the 650 being good so far on day 1 means it should only get better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just got some K712 after previously owning X1 + Mixamp. I tried them with just the MixAmp and then plugged into the Schiit amp + MixAmp. Aside from volume I didn't really notice much difference to be honest. Making me question if I really needed the amp at all.

Associate
OP
I have just got some K712 after previously owning X1 + Mixamp. I tried them with just the MixAmp and then plugged into the Schiit amp + MixAmp. Aside from volume I didn't really notice much difference to be honest. Making me question if I really needed the amp at all.

I've got the 2011 Mixamp and I found it ran all of the AKG's no issue apart from the K612 which sounded a bit too quiet.

Soldato
Between AKG 702 or DT770, cant make up my mind.
Having moved the PC to my bedroom, I need something that does not leak too much sound. For general PC use which include Gaming, watching catch up TV episodes/Movies, listing to music ect, but I am by no means a pro.
What would be best out of the 2?

Associate
Between AKG 702 or DT770, cant make up my mind.
Having moved the PC to my bedroom, I need something that does not leak too much sound. For general PC use which include Gaming, watching catch up TV episodes/Movies, listing to music ect, but I am by no means a pro.
What would be best out of the 2?
Did you decide in the end? I have the DT770s and absolutely adore them. They sound better than a lot of more expensive ones.

Associate
Just grabbed some senhesier 579's for £60(girl at the checkout was bad at math and gave £10 too much change :p ) to replace my semi bust 598's.

Not as crisp and clear, but they have their charm tho in their rawness when it comes to bass,crazy value either way tho xD

Associate
Impulse purchase of a pair of Ultrasone DJ1. I have never heard of the brand previously, so I thought I would give them a go as one of the ear pieces broke on my Phillips X2.

I am not an audiophile by any stretch! Just purchased for casual gaming/music. I got to say, that given the price - pretty impressed. :)

Back
Top Bottom