Will this RAM work on Z170?

Soldato
I thought Z170 boards were only dual channel, but I have read you can use quad channel kits on them, is that correct?

I am wondering if THIS KIT will work? If so, any drawbacks in doing so vs x2 dual channel sets?

Associate
Skylake is a dual-channel system, but a quad-channel kit is just 4 matched sticks rather than 2.

For a 32GB Skylake Z170 build, that kit will be absolutely fine - probably better than getting 2 dual channel kits as it's a kit of 4 matched sticks.

For an X99 build, you'd want to go with quad channel rather than 2x dual, because it can be a bit funny with certain kits/combinations.

Soldato
OP
Great thanks... I found it a bit odd that Skylake doesn't talk much about quad channel compatibility, which is what initially caused me to think it wouldn't work. Good to know though. :)

Associate
The Skylake architecture is dual-channel - you have banks of 2 DIMMs. X99 is quad - banks of 4. The memory manufacturers produce kits for each platform, so Skylake kits are dual-channel and Haswell-E are quad-channel.

If you put a quad-channel kit in a Skylake board, it behaves like 2 dual channel kits with the added bonus that all the sticks come from a matched kit. It can also be cheaper as well.

Back
Top Bottom