How fast can you run 2.4km (1.5 miles)?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Im interested to find out what is considered an Average time to do this in so please state the time you can run it in and what surface it was run on.

Post any hints and tips you have to help people improve their times too:cool:

Soldato
How old are you?
I started running (at 41) 2 miles as my 13 year old son was training for the England Ice Hockey team.
His 1 mile time was 6m35s, so maybe add 3-4 mins on top of that?
My 2 mile time was 19m30s on the 1st attempt (half of it was uphill), lol. 2 days later i knocked 2 mins off that.......but.........i've not run in years and my heart fell on its arse for sure!
I reckon the average fit person should do 1.5 mile it in under 11 mins.
Tips to better your time are to run more often to simply increase your stamina. Also try lampost grid sprints, where you sprint the distance between 2 lamposts, then jog for the next set, rinse and repeat. This will help you get used to accelerating when already running at a certain speed, then reducing the speed again and establishing a decent breathing rhythm before accelerating again.

Man of Honour
I'd be looking to go under 10mins, but would probably have to do a bit of training at that distance first.

The question isn't "How fast could you run 1.5 miles with training?" it's "How fast can you run 1.5 miles?".

Last time I tried was 10 minutes - that was on a treadmill and I tend to run faster on real ground. Will check again in a few days.

Soldato
I ran it yesterday in 10:30 although this was the first 1.5 mile of a 4.8 mile run so I was running at a slower pace. Never done a straight 1.5 miles in itself so can't say for sure...

Surface for this first 1.5 miles was tarmac with some hills (circa 60 feet of climb)

Soldato
Im interested to find out what is considered an Average time to do this in so please state the time you can run it in and what surface it was run on.

Post any hints and tips you have to help people improve their times too:cool:

I presume you are asking due to it being an army fitness test?

Paras require 9:18; Infantry 12.45; Standard entry Royal Artillery, Royal Armoured Corps, Royal Engineers, Household Calvalry and RLC Logistic Combat Engineers (Pioneers) require 13:15; All other standard entry and Junior Entry going to ATFC require 14:00; whilst Junior Entry going to AFCH require 14:30.

So 9:18 is the target to hit. Running at 10mph would give me a 9 minute time. I know I can run at 12mph for 0.5 miles, so it might be achievable. Might have to give it a try. :)

Permabanned
10 minutes here. I find my fitness drops off VERY quickly after a week or two without keeping the running up.

Soldato
The question isn't "How fast could you run 1.5 miles with training?" it's "How fast can you run 1.5 miles?".

Last time I tried was 10 minutes - that was on a treadmill and I tend to run faster on real ground. Will check again in a few days.

I just meant it's been a while since I did that particular distance, so I'd probably adjust my normal training regime a bit before timing myself.

Don't think I'd be far off 10 mins now. Wasn't talking about training for months to try and get there or anything like that.

Soldato
Takes me around 40min to run 4.5 miles.

To improve your time run with someone who is faster than you if you can, you will naturally try to keep up and push yourself more than you would normally.

Back
Top Bottom