Argh!! - Which Z170 motherboard

Associate
Been reading reviews, looking at features and forum posts and am more confused than I started. :confused:

My Criteria

Z170 Board
Good Overclocking and thermals
Good Fan control and headers -
Sub £150 Ideally
Minimum 6 Sata 3
Reliable
Will use the audio from the GFX card so not worried about onboard audio, switchable MOSFETS etc.
I'm a bit of a Gigabyte whore when it comes to Mobos.

Currently favoring the Gigabyte Gaming k3, Gaming 3 and Gaming 5 boards, but the Asus Z170 Gaming Pro looks interesting too and I could be swayed by a MSI board and and and and and .......ARGH!!!!

What are your recomendations OCUK?

Thanks in advance.

:(

Associate
I would go with either Gigabyte or Asus. The Z170 Pro Gaming is a very good board, but so are the Gigabyte boards. I'm not so sure about MSI. My main issue with them in the past has been their BIOS update tools.

I've always tended to get Gigabyte boards because they've worked out cheaper than the Asus equivalent.

Associate
OP
Soldato
I have the Ultra Gaming and have been very impressed with it as well. Had no issues running anything I have tried. The bios is straightforward and easy to use with some overclocking profiles built in as well.

Associate
I am currently running an Asrock Z170 Extreme 4.

Its running my i5 6400 @4.5Ghz easily. Seems to have regular bios updates since new too.

Covers everything you are looking for and comes in around £115 mark, unfortunately not on OCUK.

Caporegime
Asus pro gaming just got its 19th bios update.
I've owned it for a few months and right now I'm having stuttering issues which maybe motherboard related from some research on the net.
If I could turn back time I don't think I'd pick this board again. It has no real redeeming features over other manufacturers. It feels and looks like a poor man's ROG.
Seriously thinking of dumping it in the cupboard and spending another wedge on something else.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm too been deliberating over which board to opt for for a new z170 chipset build.

I have the z97A MSI Gaming 7 and love it - loads of usb ports and the software bundel is very good overall - I just can't see the same offered in the new z170 boards, so have been leaning towards the Asus Hero, but wonder what the difference in bios user interface between the two?

The OP mention must have 6 SATA 3's - I'm the same liking a lot - but will opt for an addin card to provide sufficient if the board offers everything else I'm looking for.

Associate
SimBoy, MSI do a Z170A gaming 7 board. Is that not along the lines of what you are running just now?

No, still on a Z97A MSI Gaming 7 - not upgraded to Z170 yet - still looking - split between the ASUS Hero and MSI Gaming 7.

I'll be keeping the Z97 rig - love it to bits - it's an old Intel 930 rig I'll be updating.

Always run two rigs, so if one goes down, I have a backup to get me out of trouble and basically consists of the last technology I purchased.

Soldato
Had the gigabyte gaming 7 had a few problems getting my 6600k stable with low volts,changed it for the Asus sabertooth Mark 1 got my cpu stable @ 4.5gz 1.26v I've found the Asus board to be more stable .

Associate
I have the MSI Gaming 7, it's a good mobo and currently have my 6700K running at 4.7GHz and had it about a year now.

I also got a free cooler with mine, worth £70 when I bought it :)

Associate
I have the MSI Gaming 7, it's a good mobo and currently have my 6700K running at 4.7GHz and had it about a year now.

I also got a free cooler with mine, worth £70 when I bought it :)

Is that the Z170 MSI - I've been pondering buying one?

Also interested in what's in the offing for the X270 Kaby Lake due end of 2016, possibly beginning 2017.

Associate
That's the one :) - it has a very good review on Hexus and I really like what MSI have done with their software package - apart from the lack of usb ports on the back plate (which can be sorted with a PCI expansion card), I like it very much.

Yes I remember reading the Hexus review, the software package is good. But I really like how easy it was to overclock my 6700K, I just set the OC to number 6 and my 6700K was running at 4.7GHz and then it was a matter of just tweaking a few settings. I have also heard good things about the M5, it's just a cut down version of the M7.

I even got my 2400MHz ram running at 2856MHz with no problem at all. And I thought overclocking my old 2500K was easy, but this was even easier and I got better results :D

Back
Top Bottom