Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 or 5??

Associate
Afternoon all.

A bit of advice if I may..

Time to upgrade to socket 1151 and there are way too many Mobo choices!!! So I have gone with Gigabyte, as have found them no trouble in the past. Even so, they have a million choices these days..

So as my PC is for gaming I have been looking at the Gaming range.
The Z170x Gaming 3 and 5 seem to have what I need which is -

1/ Onboard Audio
2/ Ability to support M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
3/ Able to overclock my CPU, but I'm not a OC propellerhead, just happy to up the speed a bit.
4/ Good for gaming
5/ Plenty of USB slots

So my question is, any real reason I should spend the extra money on the Gaming 5??
If you think I'm making a big booboo about my choices, feel free to say!!

And another quicky, my current board is socket 1155. I have a Corsair A50 cooler. I've read that coolers for socket 1155 will also fit 1151 boards. Anyone any comments on that?

Cheers
JJ

Man of Honour
If you are currently running a 3570k or 3770k then you may be disappointed with the move to Skylake. Intel hasn't given us much in the way of performance increases over the past few years and if I had either of those cpu's I wouldn't be changing anytime soon. Just saying before you blow hundreds of pounds and end up disappointed.

Associate
OP
Hi Pastymuncher. My CPU is older than those, I have a I5 2500k!! Its gonna be a bottleneck I suspect with my planned new GPU..

Man of Honour
If your 2500k is clocked to around 4.5Ghz I would try the new gpu out first, you may get a pleasant surprise. The 2500k is still a very capable cpu and we have loads of people on here who have stuck with theirs along with a pascal gpu.

Associate
OP
PC running happily at 4.5. However, I know remember why I didn't bother previously, as the video and USB don't recover from sleep mode resulting in a reboot every time.

I can only suspect my z68x-ud4 is not very good for OC'ing.

Back
Top Bottom