New Headphones

Associate
Hi guys I'm having hard times to buy myself a good pair of headphones for gaming and music (rock, electronic, chart music). I was looking at DT770 PRO 80ohm or Cloud I ( as I dont really need sub sound card I got Soundblaster Z). I would appreciate any suggestion on new headphones. I dont really have a idea how they will play I only heard: CORSAIR VOID RGB and Logitech g230, beats solo 2.0. I heard them at local retailer so I dont have much comparison when it comes to other brands

Soldato
Closed back (keeps sound in and noise out but has a smaller sound stage):

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro - SBZ will drive both 80 ohm (3m straight cable) and 250 ohm (3m curly cable). Quite V shaped sound signature with enhanced bass and sharp highs.

Sony MDR-100ABN - easily driven, balanced sound with punchy bass, 1.2m cable.

Open back (lets some sound out and some noise in but has a much bigger sound stage):

AKG K612 pro - 3m straight cable, will push the SBZ amp but it will cope. They don't have as much bass as the Beyers or Sonys but positional audio will be more precise for gaming.

Sennheiser HD558 - quite easy to drive and quite neutral sounding. They don't have massive bass but neither do most open backed headphones but they will produce good positional audio cues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really like my Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm, despite having other higher price open headphones such as the Sony MDR-MA900 and Sennheiser HD700.

Need a right DAC/amp to make it sound great though, and the DacMagic XS (that are on sale at RicherSounds at £50 from time to time) is perfect for it, and lots of other headphones as well.

Associate
OP
Is there any difference between 80 and 250 ohm dt770 in terms of how they sound. Also how different are open vs closed headphone sound stage in terms the sound as I never listen to open cans.

Also did anyone compared dt770pro or AKG K612 pro to Clouds I or II? I mean AKG K612 pro 85 and DT770 are for 100 vs Clouds II 75? Im willing to spend more if they sound quality is justified. I just been to HM V and listen to Sony MDR-1A Prestige Overhead Headphones and they didnt sound bad to be honest, especially when compared to beats which costs significantly more.

Soldato
The Sony MDR-1A have a more powerful bass than the MDR-100AAP, which don't have quite as much quantity but are faster and more impactful (bass has more of a "smack" to it).

The 250 ohm DT770s would sound better with your SBZ due to the sound card's high 22 ohm output impedance. The 80 ohm 770s may sound a little woolly in the bass compared with the 250 ohm version due to the reduced control the lower impedance voice coils would provide.

The Clouds are based on the Takstar pro 80 headphones, which are a far eastern copy of the DT770.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Sony MDR-1A have a more boomy bass than the MDR-100AAP, which don't have quite as much quantity but are faster and more impactful (bass has more of a "smack" to it).

The 250 ohm DT770s would sound better with your SBZ due to the sound card's high 22 ohm output impedance. The 80 ohm 770s may sound a little woolly in the bass compared with the 250 ohm version due to the reduced control the lower impedance voice coils would provide.

The Clouds are based on the Takstar pro 80 headphones, which are a far eastern copy of the DT770.

Okay thank you so how would clouds compare to dt770 80/250 ohm?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in a similar situation as just got Sound Blaster Z and it sounds great on speakers but now looking for decent headphones. Spent quite a bit recently so my budget is limited.

What do you guys think of AKG K451 for that use? The price is appealing.

Associate

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes Y50's were a consideration being a successor to K451's. K451's were cheaper that's why I asked. My main concern was how comfortable will I be wearing them since I've only worn over-ear headphones before.

I actually got K550 yesterday and they sound amazing and are really comfy. Second hand though but ideal condition. Got it from a local guy who finally manage to extend his house for all his hifi equipment and didn't need them anymore being able to finally listen to music on speakers.

Now I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my Sound Blaster Z to something like Xonar STX...don't tell my wife :) Can it sound even better though? That's the question

Soldato
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes Y50's were a consideration being a successor to K451's. K451's were cheaper that's why I asked. My main concern was how comfortable will I be wearing them since I've only worn over-ear headphones before.

I actually got K550 yesterday and they sound amazing and are really comfy. Second hand though but ideal condition. Got it from a local guy who finally manage to extend his house for all his hifi equipment and didn't need them anymore being able to finally listen to music on speakers.

Now I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my Sound Blaster Z to something like Xonar STX...don't tell my wife :) Can it sound even better though? That's the question
Do you need the virtual surround feature of the soundcard, or would you consider a portable DAC/headphone amp in one?

For example I am using my DacMagic XS everywhere, with my laptop at work and with my phone when on the go. Not only does it sound as good as my STX, but it can drive even my DT770 280ohm really well, and it works with Android phones as well.

The DacMagic XS (V2) price drop at RicherSounds down to half-price at £50 from time to time, so it's definitely worth considering.

Associate
Do you need the virtual surround feature of the soundcard, or would you consider a portable DAC/headphone amp in one?

For example I am using my DacMagic XS everywhere, with my laptop at work and with my phone when on the go. Not only does it sound as good as my STX, but it can drive even my DT770 280ohm really well, and it works with Android phones as well.

The DacMagic XS (V2) price drop at RicherSounds down to half-price at £50 from time to time, so it's definitely worth considering.

Definitely looks like the way forward for me. Been reading about DACs for the last week. Will probably get a decent amp and speakers as well in time but will start with a DAC.

Thanks for your suggestion I'll be keeping my eye out as circa £50 sounds a bargain

Back
Top Bottom