UBB Headsets make sound cards obsolete?

Soldato
I currently have a Sound Blaster Z sound card with a part if Roccat Kave 5.1 cans. I bought the came as I wanted to experience 5.1 "true" surround sound rather than some software making virtual surround sound.

So I'm looking online for gaming headsets that have individual input jacks you put into each sound port on the sound card, like the Kave. But there aren't any! They all now come with a USB connection that does virtual surround sound so now my Sound Blaster Z is rendered useless :(

Soldato
OP
Basically. Also 'true' 5.1 is pretty much a waste of time as well, all those tinny little drivers are no way as good as virtual with a decent driver.

Can you recommend a headset that has virtual 5.1/7.1 with good drivers?

Why replace the Kaves?

I'm still using mine for this reason.

The microphone has started to make a crackling noise and no one can hear me

Soldato
Some googling shows there is a version of the Kave with analogue 3.5mm jacks. Might be worth considering if you can't rma or repair your current set.

As for your original question it depends on what you use the soundcard for. Personally I avoid any form of headphone surround like the plague and use my xonar Xense for the higher quality dac and headphone amp with a pair of headphones in stereo mode. This is for music and games.

Soldato
OP
Some googling shows there is a version of the Kave with analogue 3.5mm jacks. Might be worth considering if you can't rma or repair your current set.

As for your original question it depends on what you use the soundcard for. Personally I avoid any form of headphone surround like the plague and use my xonar Xense for the higher quality dac and headphone amp with a pair of headphones in stereo mode. This is for music and games.

I'm a big FPS gamer so position surround sound is a must for me. I very rarely watch a movie or listen to music on my PC.

Looking at Hyper X Cloud II Gaming Headset the and the top review has almost sold it for me lol

'Great Headset

Great headset.
Been playing Rainbow six siege and in 7.1 mode I can tell where the bad guys are coming from, above, below, left or right.

Great at long gaming sessions, not too heavy and the choice of ear cups is a bonus (leather type or soft velvet type)

The USB sound part of the headset is very good and the quality, well, I can't fault it. Came from a creative z soundcard and this is just as good if not better with sound in game. '

Soldato
Gah - using the Soundblaster Z to drive the Kaves is a bit like only ever using a Civic Type R to drive to the local shops.

Another recommendation for the HyperX Clouds - and it's worth a try with Virtual Surround. Not everyone gets on with it though. I've always found Dolby Headphone more convincing than Creative's THX Trusurround (or CMSS-3D).

Just a caveat though - most games don't produce a convincing simulation of 3d sound on their own over stereo headphones. If you want to hear the difference between front and rear over headphones you either want a decent game-engine headphone mode (which is rare), a multi driver headset (which I used to be a fan of, until hearing decent virtualisation) or virtualised surround sound / 3d sound (sound card or receiver for better versions).

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently bought a Cloud I with a Sound Blaster Omni USB Souncard and the sound is amazing.

I tried the Cloud I via the motherboard but it didn't have the same clarity and punch as the Omni.

The HyperX Clouds are brilliant and worth every penny!

Back
Top Bottom