Is Xonar Essence STX a big upgrade on Sound Blaster Z

Associate
I've only been using Sound Blaster Z OEM for the last couple of days. It is a massive improvement over Xonar DGX which was a tad better than my onboard sound. My speakers are not great but I bought a pair of nice headphones yesterday (AKG K550).

Would Xonar Essence STX be a big improvement over Sound Blaster Z OEM?

I only use stereo so don't really need surround. I predominantly listen to music (well started after years in exile, you know kids...) I do gaming as well but don't use surround even if playing CS Go and would game mostly on speakers.

The reason I didn't get Xonar Essence STX in the first place was that I wasn't sure if I'm going to hear any difference to onboard. And in that scenario why spend money. Well now I know and can quite clearly hear the difference I'm wondering if Xonar Essence would be a logical next step.

Your expert input would be great.

Soldato
I upgraded from a SBZ (OEM) to an STX but that was because the SBZ was struggling to drive my AKG K702s properly and the STX has a much more powerful amplifier. Your K550s are much easier to drive so the SBZ won't have the same problems. The STX has a better DAC but as for noticeable sound quality improvements, well they will be subtle, so don't expect "night and day" differences.

Thing with audio is that once you get to a decent level of sound quality, and the SBZ is decent, then no matter how much money you throw at the equipment, the improvements will be small and subtle.

Associate
OP
That's as good of an answer as I would hope for. Thank you rids57

I'm very happy with sound quality as it is. I think I will leave it at least for the time being. I'm sure once I get accustomed to better sound quality I will be able to spot the subtle differences you're referring to after a while.

Soldato
To be honest, as your main interest is music I would suggest an external DAC and headphone amp as the best way forward. I personally use a Schiit Modi DAC and Schiit Magni 2 (solid state) & Vali (tube hybrid) headphone amps for listening to music and the STX for gaming and feeding my speakers.

A nice option would be the Schiit Modi 2 (£95) DAC coupled with the Schiit Magni 2 Uber (£140) or Schiit Vali 2 (£150) headphone amps as they both include pre-outs so can also be used for feeding (and controlling the volume of) active speakers.

Associate
OP
Thanks again, will probably keep SBZ for now and look at DAC / headphone amp combo.

I'm sure in time SBZ will also get upgraded. For now small steps as summer holidays are on the way.

Back
Top Bottom