• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Caporegime
Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@easyrider thanks for sharing. Despite claims around the web that a 1070 (nevermind a 1080) would be bottlenecked by an old CPU, you've proved what I thought all along!

Just waiting for 1070 prices to come down a little, but I don't think my patience will last beyond Christmas, or my resilience against my son's constant pestering about when I'm getting a new gfx card. I'd like to pay £350 for one with a decent HSF... prices are moving in the right direction (maybe Black Friday)... if I was happy to throw money at my system, then I wouldn't be running an x58 still!!!

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Use a 1080 in my everyday system. No issues.

Probably upgrade when 6 cores is the norm for mainstream. Coffee lake in 18 months I think.

Or when it dies :)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@easyrider I'm taking back my thanks and I'm now angry ;)

I followed your link and spent 30 minutes in the Graphics Cards forum... wow, what a toxic forum over there! It's just lots of threads of people arguing with each other. Even your post about a 1080 in a x58 system devolves into a melee.

I will be avoiding that forum until the next significant gfx card launch, and not before to avoid all the salty debate and crystal ball gazing.

Caporegime
@easyrider I'm taking back my thanks and I'm now angry ;)

I followed your link and spent 30 minutes in the Graphics Cards forum... wow, what a toxic forum over there! It's just lots of threads of people arguing with each other. Even your post about a 1080 in a x58 system devolves into a melee.

I will be avoiding that forum until the next significant gfx card launch, and not before to avoid all the salty debate and crystal ball gazing.

:p

Part of my test was to ruffle a few feathers in there ;)

Associate
Anyone with a ex58-ud3r or similar get a funny bug with the memory multiplier current running x5670 160 blk 36 qpi 12 uncore no matter what i set the mem multi to always runs 8 pc wont boot on 10 and on 12 it runs 8 so ram is running rather slow at 640mhz

Caporegime
im gagging for one of these however finding a matx board for a reasonable price is like trying to find rocky horse poop and hens teeth :/

You might aswell not bother if you don't own the mobo for a cheap upgrade

You can get more performance with newer chips...

No point trying to source an x58 mobo TBH...

Soldato
You might aswell not bother if you don't own the mobo for a cheap upgrade

You can get more performance with newer chips...

No point trying to source an x58 mobo TBH...

+1

With Kabylake coming soon and Zen next year, even if you own a X58 board spending money on it will be a silly move IMO.

Soldato
im gagging for one of these however finding a matx board for a reasonable price is like trying to find rocky horse poop and hens teeth :/

Yeah good luck, I had an matx board with a 5650 and managed to get over £200 for it not so long ago. I actually made a small profit on it even after 4 years owning the board.

Soldato
Hi

Just got a rampage 2 extreme, for some reason no matter what I try I cant get the ram to run at 1600mhz will only run at 1000mhz.

I've tried xmp and setting manually still with no joy. Could it be because it's got 6 sticks? There lots of saved bios settings from the last person and they have set it up manually and all was ok. But the cpu that came with it was a 920 not a x5650

Soldato
You will need to overclock to get the memory to 1600. I had it running fine on my old rampage 2 gene @ 1600 with the processor at 4gig.

Ah right. Yeah so as I overclock the ram clocks at the same time. would have thought you can set it manually. Just been messing for ages with different amounts of ram and a different set as well. Well that's a few hour wasted lol

Cheers

Permabanned
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom