• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Haswell to Skylake, would it be silly?

Associate
Personally I am stcking with Z87/Z97 motherboards with i7 for another year or two, I really want to see more than a marginal improvement, I want to see something that offers me tangible noticeable gains at the desk, not in synthetic benchmarks.

I am actually more interested in the upcomming 1080ti than any new upcomming CPU's and motherboards. I seriously doubt we will see any worthwhile improvement for many users until Intel starts seeing competition.

Once we move away from 4 cores with Hyperthreading I may well take notice, to be honest actually, I cant even stand on board graphics and wish that removed, so maybe even whatever replaces 2011-V3 if more affordable will be my next step.

There is simply not enough improvement in CPU's and Memory to justify upgrades on Intel systems since Z87. Graphics cards on the other hand we have seen some pretty decent improvements on.

Directions I would like PC hardware to take! Single card 4k gaming with no on board graphics option is what I want, so no need for 40 plus PCI-E lanes, 6 cores with hyperthreading running at 5Ghz easily with no need for watercooling is another, and 4tb SSD's at a reasonable cost instead of M-2 drives I cannot actually utilise the speed of in home use.

Anything else in development is simply vendors making profit by holding back due to a lack of competition.

Wish the manufacturing companies would look at what most of us actually need in a home PC, not additional features for e-peen.

Soldato
The only reason I'm going 6700k/7700k from my 4790k is cause I want to go mitx, I'm not expecting to see any performance increase that is visually noticeable.

Permabanned
Pointless move, Wait for Zen and the next Intel gen at least, I'm running a 4790k @ 4.5 and while there is a bigger than I expected improvement in game performance with the Skylake i7 it is not enough that you'd be able to tell.

If you've got a spending itch buy a stash of DDR4 ram ready for the next cpu and put it away in a cupboard. It was selling pretty cheap the last time I looked.

Permabanned
Depends your budget and graphic card.

Personally I am side/up-grading from the 4930K @4.5 to 6700K (and how much OC i drop on it), because except Crysis 3 and Aces of the Singularity, no other game is using all the cores/threads.
All games stick to 1-2 core/thread at 90-100% and the rest are asleep.

That includes not only up to DX11 games, but also DX12 games.
Like TW Warhammer, which is running on thread 12 at 100% and barely any other thread or core is working more than 5%.
(did a test and limited the cores of the CPU to 4, and still last thread (8) was running at 100%)

And since my brother had it's ancient MB burned (with FX6100), I gave him the 4930K and bought for me an Asrock Formula OC, a boxed 6700K, with good 3600mhz CL15 RAM.
Even I, couldn't justify the B-E or H-E X99 CPUs. Their IPCs are not strong enough compared to the Skylake, and the latter overclocks much better.

I was waiting for Zen however, going to pass and wait until Zen+

I noticed this on Steam,

Has anyone tried it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/

EDIT: Just had a proper look and it's not relevant really. It would be nice to have a 3rd party software that could spread a games core use across more. I can think of games where it'd make a massive improvement

Last edited:

zia

zia

Associate
Looking forward to kabylake, i can then retire my 4770k also would be nice to have some new features to play with..

zia

Soldato
I almost flagged yesturday and bought 6700k and asus impact board. But sense prevailed and im waiting on 7700k and the boards to go with it....it is my birthday today though.

Soldato
makes sense going from a 4790k....

Hear what your saying, be lucky to get 10% performance increase. But I'm downsizing to an itx build so I need to buy a motherboard so I've got an offer for my 4790k and a couple of other parts so I'm not spending that much. So I might aswell wait for the 7700k.

Soldato
Not worth it. I went from 2600k to 6700k and the gains are tiny in most games. Maybe 5fps at most.

Luckily I sold my 1155 motherboard for more than I bought it for new and only lost about £80 on the CPU in 5 years :D

Associate
Not worth it. I went from 2600k to 6700k and the gains are tiny in most games. Maybe 5fps at most.

Luckily I sold my 1155 motherboard for more than I bought it for new and only lost about £80 on the CPU in 5 years :D

Depends on the setup. I have a 144hz monitor with a GTX1080 (well, two but haven't used in SLI yet) and going from a 4790K with DDR3 to a 6700K with 3000mhz DDR4 shows a pretty significant gain in CPU heavy games like Fallout 4.

Whereas if you were rocking a mid-range GPU, it wouldn't be an issue at all. I don't think anyone needs to upgrade from an i7-2600/3770/4700+ setup, at that stage it's more about enthusiast levels because even the older i7-2600 non-k is still pretty rock solid for 60fps gaming with a decent card.

Back
Top Bottom