• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

what cpu for £100 amd intel??

Associate
so im trying to sort out a pc for my 10 year old but not sure on what cpu to go for
it will be used mainly for world of warcraft youtube and homework maybe some other games age appropriate so no games like COD or GTA

ive been looking at the i3 6100 would i be better getting a amd ??

cheers Nathan

Associate
World of Warcraft in particular is very single-core performance heavy. So the Intel would be better for that.

For general use, like homework, microsoft office etc., there wouldn't be an appreciable difference.

Depending on how soon you're planning to build this, be aware that there is a new generation of Intel CPUs and motherboards coming either late November, or December. This likely won't make the build cheaper, but you'll get more for your money, and also the new motherboards will support future CPUs coming in 2017/2018, whereas current motherboards will not. So there'll be an upgrade path with the new stuff.

Soldato
Soldato
They are, I assumed we're all talking about using the integrated graphics.

Clearly you need to state the budget OP. E.g. if there's £1000 in the kitty for a GPU it's a bit different to 'entire system under £200'. :p

Associate
OP
They are, I assumed we're all talking about using the integrated graphics.

Clearly you need to state the budget OP. E.g. if there's £1000 in the kitty for a GPU it's a bit different to 'entire system under £200'. :p

i did look at the apu but then you dont have any upgrade options with them
im trying to do a build for around £400 but i do need to have a corsair air240 in that price i have a gtx 560ti i can use but it is only the 1gb card i do have a thread going in systems and bundles where a few people have said to stay away from the apu

Soldato
im trying to do a build for around £400 but i do need to have a corsair air240 in that price i have a gtx 560ti i can use but it is only the 1gb card i do have a thread going in systems and bundles where a few people have said to stay away from the apu

The following gives a rough equivalence table for GPUs, including integrated ones.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2198203/good-integrated-gpu-amd-a10-7850k.html

A GTX 560ti is ahead of any integrated GPU currently available from AMD or Intel.

Soldato

Ah, well if you've got the GPU then yes a Haswell or Skylake system is the way to go. Should be able to get a new i3 barebones for that money.

Take Doogles's advice.

Associate
lol ive been here 11 years and only 400 posts..i will never get to see MM.

the i3 6100 is a great little cpu,even better if you can get a 2nd hand one with mb,very low power consumption too.

Back
Top Bottom