• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3570k running too hot?

Associate
I have a 3570k and have had it for 3 years now. Running an overclock of 4.5ghz on stock volts for 2 years - never had any problems. Lately, however, i checked the temprature and idle it is around 35c, but on prime95 i got max 94c (only on core1) and other cores are on around 87c. Gaming i get max 84c on BF4.

Are these tempa too high? There hasn't been any crashing or BSODs. I have a very decent noctua air cooler.

Soldato
I've always used HWInfo personally, always seems the most accurate and has plenty of settings, just make sure to download the portable version of it.

Soldato
I just checked my i5 3570K system which is currently crypto mining back home and it's sat at ~35 deg C with a constant 8% CPU load so that idle is about right. That's with an Hyper 212 EVO cooler sat on it and ~20 DegC ambient.

Soldato
I just checked my i5 3570K system which is currently crypto mining back home and it's sat at ~35 deg C with a constant 8% CPU load so that idle is about right. That's with an Hyper 212 EVO cooler sat on it and ~20 DegC ambient.

Is crypto mining using GPUs even worth it any more? When I did the calculations about 3 years ago it barely covered the cost of the electricity!

C64

C64

Soldato
check windows update to see if thats using the cpu i know mine dos on win 7 unless i disable the service sometimes it's sat using 25% cpu

Soldato
I've found realtemp to be wrong quite a few times in the past, i've stopped using it, i havent found hw monitor to be wrong yet but i guess it just depends on the Mobo. Had real temp showing my cpu as 10 degrees once, quite impressive when the room temp was 15.

Soldato
I dont know if noctua coolers come with a plastic sticker on the bottom but it sounds like it :), but seriously i would take that cooler off and remount it again, it cant be making good contact if your getting 90 degrees at stock volts, either that or you fan aint spinning.

Associate
Those of you not setting your own voltage/offset in the BIOS, you'll be using "auto" voltage I assume? If so, your motherboard will likely be smashing silly volts through your cpu and bringing temps up. My 3770k will do 4.5 at 1.28v (load voltage). On my board, the asus p8z77-v, this is achieved with +0.35 offset, high LLC and auto everything else.

Try setting a manual voltage of 1.3v (no offset), and LLC high and seeing if you are stable and have acceptable temps; then work down your voltage until unstable and then bump it back up a notch or two and test for stability. Quick and dirty, but I have seen my board on "stock" volts throw over 1.4v into my CPU, and on air I wouldn't advise going over 1.35 as Ivy gets toasty AF.

Associate
...Try setting a manual voltage of 1.3v (no offset), and LLC high and seeing if you are stable and have acceptable temps; then work down your voltage until unstable and then bump it back up a notch or two and test for stability.
I will experiment with the vcore and see if what temperature deduction that will have. I have tried re-seating the cooler with some Noctua thermal paste a while ago with no change in temps when running at stock clocks. There isn't a big deviation between core temperatures when running Prime 95 that would suggest a bad connection.

Associate
I have mine passively cooled running undervolted at stock clocks. The intake fan on the front of the case seems to generate enough airflow. Been running 100% for several months now and the temps hit 65-70 degrees depending on ambient temp.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i think i might of got lucky with mine it clocked to 4.5 super easy
noctua c14 cooler 80c was the max i saw but i never ran prime so...

i miss that gigabyte board, asus bios confuses the hell out of me >.<

Back
Top Bottom