• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coffee Lake Coming After Kaby Lake with 6 Cores

Associate
So apparently Intel is going to have 4 products on 14nm in the end, not just 3.

Coffee Lake is reportedly the same arch as Cannon Lake but slightly early, and on 14nm instead. And will go up to 6 cores on desktop and large laptop!

They must be worried about Zen! :D

Also, importantly, the Z270 motherboard series was said to support up to 10nm Cannon Lake. So it must be going to support 14nm Cannon Lake (Coffee Lake) too. What's that? 3 years of chipset support from Intel?! Hell is freezing over folks.

Article: http://wccftech.com/intel-roadmap-kaby-lake-coffee-lake-cannonlake-leak/

Picture of roadmap with 6 cores stated: http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Intel-2016-2018-Roadmap.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
What's that? 3 years of chipset support from Intel?! Hell is freezing over folks.
Suddenly non-enthusiast 6-cores and another generation of chipset support when Zen is in sight. If they start soldering IHS, Beelzebub might well have icicles forming on his genitalia. Hell may seem to have frozen over, but I suspect it will only be a temporary snowing-in, only to thaw again when AMD cease to provide competition.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems to me Intel are having teething issues with the 10nm node. Coffee Lake is the stop gap till the process matures.

Associate
OP
I am just wondering how the 6 cores coffee lake would impact the HEDT 6 cores. Coffee Lake 6 cores is bound to be faster than Skylake-X 6 cores.

Well yeah, it should be a nice little chunk faster in theory.

The IPC difference should be along the lines of Haswell compared to Sandy Bridge. Where Kaby Lake is Ivy Bridge. Or in other words, around 10% higher IPC.

Maybe it'll mean Skylake-X will be a minimum of 8 cores? And at least the Chipset will have caught up.

If it was 6-core on Z270 vs slower 6-core on X99, the HEDT platform would get decimated.

Associate
Well yeah, it should be a nice little chunk faster in theory.

The IPC difference should be along the lines of Haswell compared to Sandy Bridge. Where Kaby Lake is Ivy Bridge. Or in other words, around 10% higher IPC.

Maybe it'll mean Skylake-X will be a minimum of 8 cores? And at least the Chipset will have caught up.

If it was 6-core on Z270 vs slower 6-core on X99, the HEDT platform would get decimated.

Hmmm, makes me wonder if Intel will abolish K unlocked CPU's for CL... Skylake-X will no doubt have larger cache levels but CL could muddy the waters between the mainstream and HEDT platforms.

Soldato
More cache more cores, I predict a drop in clock rates.. To the point the new CPU's are only 10% faster than the previous gen for CPU's in the same price bracket

Associate
OP
More cache more cores, I predict a drop in clock rates.. To the point the new CPU's are only 10% faster than the previous gen for CPU's in the same price bracket

Perhaps, but their 14nm+ process seems to be pretty great.

The 7700k is going to have 4.5 GHz boost at stock, and the process will be even more mature when 6 core Coffee Lake comes.

Caporegime

At the same tdp, sure, but there is fundamentally little to no reason a 6 core with a larger die can't overclock similarly to a 4 core. You have more heat being generated(with all cores loaded) but more die space for that heat to transfer. Again this is why the 1080 and RX480 aren't dramatically easily to cool than a 980ti/other chips, because it's less power but they are much smaller.

The issue is a 6 core should use more total power at a given clock speed and if you want a lets say 85W limit on TDP on your desktop platform stock clocks for all cores running needs to be lower on a 6 core than a 4 core to hit the same tdp. But overclock and the tdp becomes not the limit just stable clock speeds the chip design can achieve.

The question would be, will Intel do this by producing some non APU chips for the mainstream desktop with more cpu cores or will this be a larger chip still with the GPU and 2 more cores added?

APUs are fantastic, most PC buyers don't want massive GPU power or a discrete gpu, but for gamers the iGPU is nearly worthless. If Intel started putting 6-8 core CPUs rather than APUs into the mainstream bracket, with dual channel mem, a 6 core would be smaller and cheaper to make than their current quad core APUs.... so where would they price that chip.

Soldato
That "roadmap" looks like it was made in paint.

>wccf

Why? It has been proven time and again they do nothing but make up fake bs for clicks. Anyone still posting them is doing everyone else a major dis-service.

Man of Honour
2018... and I was looking to go with Kaby at last after skipping so many generations.

One of my older systems has an 8 year old Q9550 @ 4GHz in it and it still holds up way better than most people probably expect (albeit it has some exotic OCZ Blade RAM which helps).

I'm not really that impressed by CPU performance any more.

Soldato
One of my older systems has an 8 year old Q9550 @ 4GHz in it and it still holds up way better than most people probably expect (albeit it has some exotic OCZ Blade RAM which helps).

I'm not really that impressed by CPU performance any more.

The performance gains are there... Just not so much for gaming. A contemporary to your q9550 will leave it for dust given the right task....

Silicon just doesn't allow anymore for the massive increases in Mhz we saw up until the late noughties when single core clock speeds stalled at around 4Ghz. Per core clock speeds have barely advanced since.

Last edited:
Associate
These are all 45w and under CPUs for NUCs and laptops. I'm not sure what this really has to do with what's coming on the desktop, nor is it anything to do with Zen.

IIRC Intel are moving all of the enthusiast and HEDT CPUs to one socket, so we'll get 6,8 and 10 core Skylake-X and 4 core Kabylake-X all on the same platform.

https://benchlife.info/skylake-x-and-kaby-lake-x-confirm-with-lga-2066-and-2017-q3-07172016/

The 7700K could well be the last unlocked CPU on the mainstream platform from Intel before everything is consolidated onto the HEDT platform.

Associate
OP
That "roadmap" looks like it was made in paint.

>wccf

Why? It has been proven time and again they do nothing but make up fake bs for clicks. Anyone still posting them is doing everyone else a major dis-service.

The original source came from Overclock3D or something. I couldn't re-find the original, so just posted WCCF. But they didn't make the slide.

Soldato
IIRC Intel are moving all of the enthusiast and HEDT CPUs to one socket, so we'll get 6,8 and 10 core Skylake-X and 4 core Kabylake-X all on the same platform.

https://benchlife.info/skylake-x-and-kaby-lake-x-confirm-with-lga-2066-and-2017-q3-07172016/

The 7700K could well be the last unlocked CPU on the mainstream platform from Intel before everything is consolidated onto the HEDT platform.

Yeah it seems like this is the path intel may be taking. The 6 core coffee lake may be locked. To get the unlocked 6 core, people may need to move onto HEDT.

Back
Top Bottom