• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 6600K.

Caporegime
I've just purchased one of these and wanted to make sure that it is overclocked. I ran it at stock for a day, then today I went and upped the multiplier to 42, but there's no evidence of that in the control panel. In cpu-z, however, it would appear that something has changed as the multiplier info reads 8-42, instead of 8-39. So it's overclocked to 4.2ghz okay, right?

Also, aside from temps, what constitutes a good chip? Core voltage? Revision? Anything I can ascertain from cpu-z?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's right, if you want it fixed to 4.2 then enable high performance in the Windows power options.

Most 6600k's should do 4.4GHz with ease, mine does 4.6 without breaking a sweat and stays under 60c on an air cooler.

Soldato
Mine is currently at 4.4ghz with 1.25V. I tried to take it to 4.5ghz and it needed 1.30V. Temps were low 60's under load but that increase only gained me a couple of percent increase in the intel benchmarking tool. So I decided it wasn't worth it so took it back to 4.4ghz.

What voltage do you need for 4.6ghz AiiR?

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, guys.

I took a quick screenshot of cpu-z. I don't understand what much of it means, but hopefully it'll be happy to accept a 4.4+ overclock. Currently at 4.2.

2u965va.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Run an application like Handbrake or Cinebench which will push the cpu to max clocks, and have CPU-Z open at the same time and it will show you the max clock speed and also vcore.

I'm not being funny, but I'd advise you to read up before pushing that chip as you barely have a grasp of the basics.

You need to monitor temperature and voltage.

Caporegime
OP
I've just finished rendering a video and along with several windows open (including a YouTube video playing), the highest temp was 67C (Noctua DH-15). The highest core voltage reading was 1.152 & no fans were attached to the cpu cooler; I'll probably put the middle one back on soon and retest before finally adding them both.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use 1.32v, which is a bit high but I'm too lazy to lower it. It's high, but safe, and works fine. :D

Doesn't sound high considering I need 1.3v to get 4.5ghz. I was running my ram at 3200 MHz though which may mean I need higher voltages than you. I've knocked it back to 3000mhz now with no impact on benchmark scores.

OP - I received a lot of advice here the first time I was overclocking having never done it before. my starting point was this:
- multiplier 44
- vcore 1.24v
- load line calibration set to high or extreme.
- disable intel turbo boost

This is all done in bios.

I had to do a bit more messing around with other settings to get ram stable at higher speed. What ram do you have?

Caporegime
OP
You didn't say what your highest clock speed was in that post, but I doubt it was 4.4Ghz at that voltage.

4.2 (only changed the multiplier). Nothing else.

Are you seriously saying you tested an overclock with no fans on the CPU cooler? Why would you even do that? :confused:

Yes, though if it hadn't had been a cooler of that spec / equivalent case cooling, then I wouldn't. In my experience, the fans on it don't make that much difference. It's not like deciding to forgo them whacked up the temps sharply / could make it fry. Before I bought the DH-15, I was just using the stock cooler, and yes, for rendering as well.

Temps have been monitored very closely.

I've placed the middle fan back on now anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Im at 4.4 with 1.25v temps stay under 60 with AIO cooler. 3200mhz DDR4. HWMonitor however keeps telling me my max cpu clock is 4600mhz, it appears ASUS AISuite is over riding my bios settings? Havent investigated it, but its all stable and hasnt crashed.

Back
Top Bottom