Spirals in tubing?

Associate
OP
Just lube the insert with olive oil... Works a treat, washes out easy, high burning point. Dont think you need the tool as much as you think but it wont hurt - probably need to sand the 3D printed output smooth to avoid marking the soft hot tube as it can be quite rough when printed I think.

I was intending to do that, after talking to some printers, the material to do this would be quite expensive (~£80 job) as it would need to be something that can take heat in bursts.

I think I'm moving over to the idea of wood, cheap rolling pin and painfully trying to draw a consistent line to the bottom, use that as a base

Soldato
I was intending to do that, after talking to some printers, the material to do this would be quite expensive (~£80 job) as it would need to be something that can take heat in bursts.

I think I'm moving over to the idea of wood, cheap rolling pin and painfully trying to draw a consistent line to the bottom, use that as a base

As long as the diameter of the loops is consistent round the pin it doesnt matter... Focus on getting a clean wrap around and don't even worry about how far apart they are. When done let it cool and then you should be able to pull on the top/bottom while low heating the sections to get it exact for a nice finish.

If you just loop round the required times on say a silicon rolling pin then let it all cool before you warm it and pull in to position (less hot than a full bend).

Associate
OP
As long as the diameter of the loops is consistent round the pin it doesnt matter... Focus on getting a clean wrap around and don't even worry about how far apart they are. When done let it cool and then you should be able to pull on the top/bottom while low heating the sections to get it exact for a nice finish.

If you just loop round the required times on say a silicon rolling pin then let it all cool before you warm it and pull in to position (less hot than a full bend).

The only issue with just going for the smooth wrap is on a test (5cm diameter) the tubing would almost pinch the silicon insert, as someone suggested I should put a bit of olive oil in there to get it in and out easily. Alternitavly, I'm thinking of using a REALLY fine sand for this bend.

Got myself a good size Rollingpin from Sainsburys today :D

Soldato
It was me who suggested it hehe, I don't think sand is better - just leave yourself plenty of insert to grip outside and you'll get it out.

Associate
OP
It was me who suggested it hehe, I don't think sand is better - just leave yourself plenty of insert to grip outside and you'll get it out.

On a single 360 degrees turn, there was too much friction and it actually broke in the middle on the tubing, not from where I was pulling it out. Maybe there was a small pinch along the line but it looked very smooth to me.

I would be worried about sand sticking to the inside of the pipe once is goes soft, the small grains might embed right into it.

Dads a builder and he seems to think there is a way to ensure that there is no residue left over. I guess it wouldn't hurt to test first and see if anything was left and how much washing needs to be done to remove debris

Associate
OP
Did you use olive oil? That works brilliantly I've found, even when you do tight bends... I've not tried a spiral though.

Nothing, think I could get away with soaking it a bit in some, I'll just slowly remove the insert when it comes the final product, this is just a learning curve
on if it gets stuck

Soldato
Nothing, think I could get away with soaking it a bit in some, I'll just slowly remove the insert when it comes the final product, this is just a learning curve
on if it gets stuck

Looks like a good bend though, olive oil is the way my friend... You'll be amazed how easy it comes out.

Caporegime
Don't feel bad, I'm pretty sure we've all thought of doing it at some point, I thought of wrapping the pipe around a cylinder slightly larger than a tube res then leaving ya with a perfect place to put your tube res inside, with a dual loop it would look even better as you could have each loop wrapped around the others tube res leaving you with a contrast between the spiral and th res, or an even madder idea would be to to one loop with a clockwise spiral and the other anti clockwise so you could thread them together.

There's load of cool directions you could go with this, I look forward to seeing the results.

Now if you made two self contained loops, one for the CPU and one for the GPU(s) and managed to get them running alternately using different colour coolant/dye, that would look amazing.

Associate
OP
Looks like a good bend though, olive oil is the way my friend... You'll be amazed how easy it comes out.

I'll pick some up in work, anything longer then what is there now will be more of an issue. I can just straighten this out to get my insert back! :)

Now if you made two self contained loops, one for the CPU and one for the GPU(s) and managed to get them running alternately using different colour coolant/dye, that would look amazing.

I though of this already, making it a helix is a pain in the ass as it is thanks :D / Maybe if I ever get back to a bigger case, I would consider it. One of the main problems at the moment is getting compatible tubing in lengths longer then 500mm, testing Bitspower tubing (1m) with EK fittings over the weekend, will see how it goes.

Associate
OP
1m Bitspower tubing arrived! Here is test 1: http://imgur.com/a/Pbe0D

Forgot to buy oil and only have sunflower, assuming there is a difference as everyone has been saying olive oil. VERY few issues for a first attempt, got 2 small flat edges and a small deformaty at the bottom of the tube which I think is due to it bending in a weird way (Feel like it twists and I didn't have it hot enough) - As I only have two 1m tubes, going to test the other with Olive Oil when I get some and see if it comes out smoother.

Each full rotation I was pulling out the insert as to stop it getting stuck which was a bit too close to be comfortable with the bends but managed fine.

Soldato
Good job. When I did my tubes I was never quite clear with the deformities I got whether it was because I was overheating or not heating enough... I went through numerous tries before I got it right and I still can't tell you which it was. I think sometimes you just take it to the point where it's not having it and will deform.

Soldato
Looks great, have you worked out where its going in your case yet? Are you planning on putting it between two components or mounting it in an open part of the case as a feature.

Associate
OP
Good job. When I did my tubes I was never quite clear with the deformities I got whether it was because I was overheating or not heating enough... I went through numerous tries before I got it right and I still can't tell you which it was. I think sometimes you just take it to the point where it's not having it and will deform.
Yeah as this is my first hardline loop, I'm still messing around finding that sweet spot as well. Pretty happy with the results I got, excited to try a 2nd time with lubed tube, should be MUCH LESS hassle!

Looks great, have you worked out where its going in your case yet? Are you planning on putting it between two components or mounting it in an open part of the case as a feature.

Yes! This is how it looks currently: (Similar to this: http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c1/350x700px-LL-c159b8ce_IMG_0742.jpeg )

Top right RAD out > Pump/Res will have the helix/spiral. I was going to attempt to have it go around the res for extra flare but veins only grow so big with anger trying funky things out. Top left GPU > RAD I want to have some curving going on but horizontally along/near the PCB and RAD just to have the tubing seem more structured, this will also allow me to not have to bend tubing as much to have a nice clean finish.

Considered doing something with a drainage port where the PCI-E cables are but not too sure yet. I don't actually have a drainage port in this build yet because I didn't originally order enough fittings....

I have a monoblock going in when OC gets them in and ships me mine and lastly, I considered trying to work some magic with a fill port in the top of the machine which would permanently be there but whilst typing that, I feel it might look odd.

The difference my setup has to the picture I stole from google is my cables are blue / mobo is white, RADS white, GPU block has blue accent lighting and liquid qill be a lighter shade of blue. I don't want to show it until it's finished though :)

EDIT: Also adding a light strip as the glass has a very dark tint and you can't see inside that well un;ess you have good lighting in the room (Which I don't)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i know what ya mean i have the Primo, kinda glad ya cant see inside my case, but if i had put the work in you have i would want it lit up like a christmas tree :)

Caporegime
I though of this already, making it a helix is a pain in the ass as it is thanks :D / Maybe if I ever get back to a bigger case, I would consider it. One of the main problems at the moment is getting compatible tubing in lengths longer then 500mm, testing Bitspower tubing (1m) with EK fittings over the weekend, will see how it goes.

I wonder if setting some tubing wound tight enough so you could actually put it inside a res so the colours were visible without the double helix? That way you only have one spiral? It would need to be quite close to the edge or you'd need to use clear coolant?

Associate
OP
I wonder if setting some tubing wound tight enough so you could actually put it inside a res so the colours were visible without the double helix? That way you only have one spiral? It would need to be quite close to the edge or you'd need to use clear coolant?

After finishing round one of this, double spirals wouldn't be tooooooo hard as there is plenty of space between, having it around my res was a no go, case is far too small. Having it inside the res sounds like a really cool idea, again for me personally, my case is too small to do this. Something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future!

Still waiting on my Monoblock before any OC's go up and the Pastel Berry Blue Coolant goes in but it's a stage I don't mind showing with my carefully angled camera to hide the ugly bends. In total I'v bent ~20 tubes so far overall so I'm fairly happy but there is LOADS of room for improvement, too much for my liking so gonna mess around with all my off cuts. I think I'm not letting the tube get hot enough over a large enough circumference but I'll f ind out soon enough when I get practising!

Pics(4); http://imgur.com/a/IzKVv

Back
Top Bottom