I shouldn't be allowed to watercool my pc

Soldato
I feel sorry for you. I really do.

Luckily, I haven't experienced anything as much as you. Apart from once when I didn't leak test as I was in a rush (needed to finish an assignment) and found a nice puddle on my top graphics card. Mopped up, tighten fitting and no issues since

Soldato

To be fair i've had nothing but bad luck before i've even got going if it makes you feel better...

1. GTX 1080 FTW blocks took forever to release
  2. Finally put on preorder after months, isnt despatched... I chase and i'm told sorry the backplates are out of stock (EK), how when I preordered... They say they don't know
  3. Backplates come back in to stock, 'oh sorry the terminal SLI link is now out of stock'... Are you kidding you didnt allocate it? (Cancelled all the €450 order and placed with OCUK, cheers chaps)
  4. Backplates take forever to come in stock, helpfully they split the order so I could do something...
  5. Back in stock they come, ordered. Boom they arrive as promised, both completely damaged on one corner FML
    ... New ones arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed
  6. EK internal tube, damaged, replacement on route
  7. Sleeving ordered, a load of 16mm soft tubing arrived instead, again replaced by OCUK no questions :)

While all that was going on, ordered SLI bridge, wrong size. Ordered some other bits from a competitor (no stock OC sorry... Might even be able to say given i'm about to **** them off... it rhymes with plan.). They send it twice, charge me twice, I raise a query and am told its 'impossible' to take an unauthorised payment so I have to return at my own cost as 'unwanted'... Clearly the much more believable story to them is that I immediately ordered the exact same things after processing one so that I could pay delivery twice. Insane.

Oh more to add:

1. Hexgear case, R80, took forever to release and longer to deliver
  2. Was damaged in two panels, they were very helpful and keen to replace after my holiday... Since then they just dont reply.
  3. Noticed the cable combs were also not what I ordered (6+8 not 8+8)

Do you feel better yet mate? :D

All credit to OCUK by the way, throughout all my niggles they've been incredible as always. Good work guys.

Last edited:
Associate
had a free "Accidents" towards the beginning of my water cooling life, luckily recently not been too bad.

Did have a bit of a brain fart the other week and started to take off the top of my vertical res, of course the water is held in place by pressure from BOTH end plates, as such I suddenly had a drip issue, luckily nothing underneath it.

When I originally started I was sent the wrong size tubing, being a novice I just presumed it was right and assembled it all, it was ok until it got warm ... then a pipe slide out of the compression fitting.

Thankfully was still testing my dual D5 pumps so everything else was un powered.
Amazing how much heat them D5's push into the water at full chat... Was quite surprised.

We all been there Greebo m8 :D

Soldato
Another update regarding the insert... I contacted Alphacool and received a reply saying the insert needs to be 1mm smaller than the ID of the tube or it'll never come back out again once bent. A lot of nonsense considering the idea is to lube the insert to stop that from happening + the bends will look rubbish if not tight enough to fill the ID. I'll stick with my o ring stuff :)

Soldato
Another update regarding the insert... I contacted Alphacool and received a reply saying the insert needs to be 1mm smaller than the ID of the tube or it'll never come back out again once bent. A lot of nonsense considering the idea is to lube the insert to stop that from happening + the bends will look rubbish if not tight enough to fill the ID. I'll stick with my o ring stuff :)

Lol, yeah sounds like pretty poor advice to me! 1mm is a pretty sizeable gap given it expands a little when you heat it.

Caporegime
OP
Lol, yeah sounds like pretty poor advice to me! 1mm is a pretty sizeable gap given it expands a little when you heat it.

It is. I have a bin full of dumped bends using an insert 1mm too thin. :(

Alphcools own inserts falls out of the tube when titled they are so slack,

Soldato
It is. I have a bin full of dumped bends using an insert 1mm too thin. :(

Alphcools own inserts falls out of the tube when titled they are so slack,

Its a clear opportunity when you think about it, if say a Monsoon who sell a kit for bending with every conceivable angle guide and tool why not an insert kit? Pretty cheap stuff, simply 'Insert kit 10-14mm' job done, tubing variance doesn't matter and you use the one that fits :p

p.s. Just ordered an Aquero 6XT, I blame you entirely.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah its a really good modular system, it even controls rgb lighting so you can swap your on led light in your case for an rgb one and then have it change colour as a warning from green to amber to red etc

You can also have all your rgb leds change colour as the temperature changes in the loop etc.

In conjunction with a fill level sensor on your reservoir you can keep and eye on levels too.

Its not cheap but I am impressed by it all.

Soldato
Yeah its a really good modular system, it even controls rgb lighting so you can swap your on led light in your case for an rgb one and then have it change colour as a warning from green to amber to red etc

You can also have all your rgb leds change colour as the temperature changes in the loop etc.

In conjunction with a fill level sensor on your reservoir you can keep and eye on levels too.

Its not cheap but I am impressed by it all.

Nice, i'm going to try and find a means of linking it to these ML120 RGB fans but we will see...

Soldato
have them change colour as they change speed? Yep should be easy to do with the xt6 :D

Mainly just control the colour/mode as the hubs supplied would do but they're pretty crap. I've got some plans for it though, already glad I hit confirm. You won't break me on the Titan XPs over my 1080s though. Maybe.

Soldato
If your struggling. Only really need some like 13-14mm o-ring rubber or something of the like. That would be bang on size. I used a 12mm insert. Was a little loose but the bends turned out fine.

If you want some. I think it's called silicon cord.

Other than that I feel the pain. Probably stripped mine 10 times in the last year. But each time, more knowledge. Something to do anyway, I like it :)

I would in the future always air test it prior to filling. Block off the ports apart from one then attach a pipe and blow in. Hold the pressure for 30 seconds. Saved me quite a few times.

At a stage now where I'm happy. Shouldn't need stripping for a year now hopefully.

Moved onto doing a new desk now which requires a load more work.

Tiresome this pc malarkey ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom