Radiator restriction?

Associate
Hello,

I'm piecing together parts for my NZXT Manta WC build. I'm looking at some thin rads and currently I seem to be swaying towards HWL Black Ice 280 GTS's.

Going by this review: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/02/15/hardware-labs-nemesis-280gts-radiator-review/ they seem to be excessively restrictive, but what effect will this have, if any in the real world?

My loop will be EKWB res/D5 combo, EKWB Strix 980 block, EKWB CPU block, and two radiators.

Am I over thinking this or will the D5 take it in it's stride?

Thanks!

Permabanned
You'll be fine with a D5 I have a lesser pump the DDC 10w version with 2x 240mm rads, 1x 120mm rads a GPU block and a CPU block and it seems to be doing a decent job.

It'll reduce the flow rate of your pump but it will also increase the pressure. The alternative would be to fit a couple of GTX's instead which is also a excellent rad or the SR2's.

Caporegime
Got 3 rads including HArdware labs black ice (the best rads you can buy IMO) and a cpu block and gpu block and my d5 works fine with plenty of push.

Associate
OP
Good, thought so. Perhaps xtremerigs are a bit anal with data and forget real life isn't such as an issue.

Doobedoo, I did think of GTX's but I really need something in the 30mm range to keep the build compact.

Also considering going really cheap and thinking of Magicool, sadly OCUK don't stock them any more but they don't get bad reviews, but they are significantly cheaper, any experience here?

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's not that they are being anal it's just that they are doing a thorough job of providing as much info as they can.

The GTX is the better overall rad because it can remove much more potential heat from your rig than a GTS, but it comes at the expense of extra thickness, cost and noise. The GTS is optimized for low speed fans in a push configuration, the GTX performs best in push, pull due to the extra core thickness.

I'd go with GTS and be happy knowing it's the best or at least right up there with the best performing slim rad you can buy.

Soldato
Single D5 is fine, running this NZXT mid tower with 2 x 360mm EK Slims (I would 100% not recommend them and get the HWLabs). Pump is running around 40-50% mostly, its fine.

Photo%2022-05-2016%2012%2022%2002_zpsr6xaw1d2.jpg

The slim rads can be very effective and i'd probably opt for those with more space internally over bigger rads crammed in. The HWLabs have nice low FPI so airflow is a dream, proven by the fact this build above is moving to a bigger case with 2 x HW Labs radiators very soon...

Associate
OP
Why wouldn't you get the EK slims, Smffy? No good?

I'll probably grab the HWL 280 GTS's, hopefully in stock soon as the rest of the parts should arrive tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Interesting, thanks for that Doobedoo.

I ended up pressing order on some Magicool 280 slims, not sure what they'll be like but they were only £35 a rad. HWL's were not going to be in for a while and I'm terribly impatient. I'll report back.

Soldato
The whole rad restriction thing can be a bit misleading for sure... it certainly isn't the be all and end all, and you have to factor in fan speeds, configuration etc. These are usually going to be the more determining factors than the restriction value alone, which in and of itself is not going to suddenly make your WC setup an ineffective cooling solution.

Caporegime
Read the review site that has been posted up Extreme Rigs rad test. http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

They show you that out of all the slim rads (about 30mm thick) the Ek slims perform pretty much bottom across the board, where as the GTS performs much better other than flow restriction and the magicool slim is the best bang for buck.

Yeah EK made a lemon with their slim rad. Pretty much 15 to 20% worse than the competition.

The only annoying thing about Hardware labs is that they are 5mm wider than any other rad so can be awkward to fit.

Thats the only reason only two of my 3 rads are HL in my build. As radiators they are awesome.

Permabanned
Shame really as I'm a big fan of the EK kit, overall performance and quality seems to be excellent.

Got my eyes on some 360mm GTS's when I move to a bigger case mine is started to bug me now as I keep adding more and more stuff. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Interesting, thanks for that Doobedoo.

I ended up pressing order on some Magicool 280 slims, not sure what they'll be like but they were only £35 a rad. HWL's were not going to be in for a while and I'm terribly impatient. I'll report back.

You'll be fine with them the money you have saved will make up for the performance difference. I know what you mean I'm impatient at the best of times.

Yeah let us know what you think.

Associate
OP
Already have OLDPHART, went for the EK all in one D5 res jobbie. It JUST fits in the Manta.

I might stick a build log in projects, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot having always wanted to water cool.

Now then... the biggest decision, what colour coolant :D

Soldato
Why wouldn't you get the EK slims, Smffy? No good?

I'll probably grab the HWL 280 GTS's, hopefully in stock soon as the rest of the parts should arrive tomorrow.

Late reply but what everyone is saying, I know the reviews are not always consistent but I do feel like these struggle with airflow and cooling. Always good to add real experience, even with two 360mm its not exactly incredible but you live and learn :)

Associate
Surely the restriction of the water blocks themselves will all be far higher than any rad will be anyway?

I have no facts to back this up, just in my minds eye all that water getting jetted through a GPU water block that's mm thick must create more pressure than the rad itself..

Any links to things telling me stupid so I can learn are welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom