Recommend Bluetooth Earphones

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting some better BT earphones for use with my phone while on the bike (so need to fit under a helmet) and while at the gym.

Happy to go up around £50 or £60. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Soldato
I had a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Go 2, they sounded decent but had issues keeping them in my ear (I generally have trouble anyway). You can pick these up for around £40-50.

To be honest next time I decide to try a pair, I'm going to get some of the £20 ones with decent reviews on the rainforest place and return them if they're not up to scratch. The only other ones I'd be tempted by are the Jaybird X2 ones - but they're more like £100.
http://www.jaybirdsport.com/X2-bluetooth-headphones/

I'd definitely recommend some Comply tips for whatever you go for though - they'll give you a much more secure fit as the extra weight in BT phones don't help.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just been out on bike and I forgot how much of a faff it was wearing an armband/dressing my headphone cable up etc. So I'm after some BT earphones :)

£50 notes tops, but I'm not an 'audio enthusiast' so less would be good. Ideas?

Soldato
I own both the Sony SBH80's as above and the cheaper and excellent Moto Surround's. Both are great - I use them for cycling to work, gym and running. I actually prefer the Motorola surround's as the buttons are so much easier to press/reach when cycling/running. Apart from that both are excellent and I couldn't go back to non Bluetooth earphones for sport. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the reply! On certain site's, the Moto's are slightly dearer, but that's not a big deal. I'm leaning towards the Sony's if I'm honest, I can see them for about £52 and I have a Sony phone. I'd hope that there would be no compatibility issues there :p

Soldato
Hi guys,

Having had the Sony SBH80's for over a month now, admittedly having only used them a handful of times, I think I might have a faulty set :(

They NFC pair with my Z1 Compact fine but I regularly get interference when I'm listening to music on my push bike. Take earlier for example, I had to pull over and stop playback, it was un-listenable! I've tried different music with variable bitrates etc, so I know it's not that. And it doesn't happen all of the time, just most of it... taking a call on them isn't much better; good audio but it just seems to dip in and out? Often ending in me or the caller hanging up and trying again.

I just wondering if it was anything I was doing wrong before I rma them. I'll be using them tomorrow for a 'walking commute' so that can rule out the cycling-specific side of things.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Sometimes when I ride my motorbike to work (generally low speeds) I notice some crackle if I leave my phone in my trouser pocket. If I move it up to the jacket phone pocket (chest height) it seems fine. I do wonder if it's weak BT and movement causes it problems?

Soldato
Sometimes when I ride my motorbike to work (generally low speeds) I notice some crackle if I leave my phone in my trouser pocket. If I move it up to the jacket phone pocket (chest height) it seems fine. I do wonder if it's weak BT and movement causes it problems?
No, this is more than that I think :p

Music is permanently un-listenable at times, it's outrageous - like I said, I had to interrupt my ride earlier and stop playback. I think I might have a fault set :rolleyes:

Associate
I recommend the Jaybirds x2 or maybe the x3's when they're released.
Around £80, new, retail, sealed box from eBay.

I've had plenty of cheap pairs and they've all been a bag o' sh1te.

Associate
I have a pair of Sony MW600 brilliant earphones,great battery life and huge range before they begin to break up.Think they discontinued them but replaced them with the Sony SBH20.

Associate
It's worth mentioning that bluetooth works at frequencies that can't transmit through water, so your body will actually hamper or sometimes block the signal. I stumbled upon this info after having really bad stuttering issues with my BT headset. If my body is between my phone and the side of the headphones with the charging port (where all the electrics are) then they stutter like crazy. Move the phone so there's a clear line between it and the headphones and it's perfect.

Figured I'd mention it since some of you seem to be having the same issue. Only solution I've found is to wear an arm band thing to keep the phone in.

Soldato
I find the plantronics backbeat fit to be great, sit just in your ear so you can still hear cars when biking or running and don't shake around. If they failed tomorrow I'd buy another pair

Soldato
Hi guys,

Having had the Sony SBH80's for over a month now, admittedly having only used them a handful of times, I think I might have a faulty set :(

They NFC pair with my Z1 Compact fine but I regularly get interference when I'm listening to music on my push bike. Take earlier for example, I had to pull over and stop playback, it was un-listenable! I've tried different music with variable bitrates etc, so I know it's not that. And it doesn't happen all of the time, just most of it... taking a call on them isn't much better; good audio but it just seems to dip in and out? Often ending in me or the caller hanging up and trying again.

I just wondering if it was anything I was doing wrong before I rma them. I'll be using them tomorrow for a 'walking commute' so that can rule out the cycling-specific side of things.

Any thoughts?

Mine run 100% fine on Z5 Compact and S7... However with the Z5 Compact sometimes there was a bit of a pause - I thought it was due to processing power (my Z5 stutters at times)...

Back
Top Bottom