Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

Soldato
The first time I used my phone in the local shop, with half a dozen people behind me in the queue, the terminal read my phone fine, but the internet dropped so the terminal faffed on for a few minutes trying to to connect before voiding the transaction. The amount of tutting and sighing at me "trying to be fancy" was rather embarrassing, and frustrating because I wanted to plead my innocence and blame Virgin Media for their flaky internet rather than the phone technology.

Well that's worrying, I read that it should work without a signal, though I couldn't find much info on the subject. I came across this fairly old article.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-pay-phone-how-it-works/

"You can use it in dead zones.

Android Pay can only perform a limited number of transactions in dead zones.

To understand why, let's back up and talk about Host Card Emulation, or "HCE." Whenever you make a purchase, a "token" is created, which replaces your real credit card number with a 16-digit dummy number. That way, if there was ever a credit card data breach and your transaction information was exposed, your real account number would be protected.

With Apple Pay, tokens are generated in a chip called the Secure Element. With Android Pay, they're generated in the cloud, which is what Host Card Emulation is. If you're without Internet and need to use Android Pay, the app will tap into a limited number of stored tokens on the device. (Where and how those tokens are stored isn't clear.)"

Soldato
Well that's worrying, I read that it should work without a signal, though I couldn't find much info on the subject. I came across this fairly old article.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-pay-phone-how-it-works/

"You can use it in dead zones.

Android Pay can only perform a limited number of transactions in dead zones.

To understand why, let's back up and talk about Host Card Emulation, or "HCE." Whenever you make a purchase, a "token" is created, which replaces your real credit card number with a 16-digit dummy number. That way, if there was ever a credit card data breach and your transaction information was exposed, your real account number would be protected.

With Apple Pay, tokens are generated in a chip called the Secure Element. With Android Pay, they're generated in the cloud, which is what Host Card Emulation is. If you're without Internet and need to use Android Pay, the app will tap into a limited number of stored tokens on the device. (Where and how those tokens are stored isn't clear.)"

Acquirers will also enforce 1 in x checks on the merchant side too, even if the transaction is under the floor limit.

So an acquirer will, typically, only ask to authorise a transaction over a certain amount, but to combat fraudsters who clocked on to this would also check the occasional transaction under the floor limit.

Admittedly that was when I was in acquiring about 15+ years ago and the technology has moved on since then, both tokenisation and broadband wise, but maybe I just got caught by that.

It definitely voided the transaction rather than declined, and the lady after me had tried to top up her phone using cash while they waited for my transaction to clear the terminal but that separate machine also failed due to no connection.

Edit: thinking about it, there's probably a difference between a GPRS terminal and an IP terminal, though I'm less involved in that side of things these days I do actually still work in card payments and IP terminals are not yet standard and have in some cases only rolled out in any volume in the last year.

If a terminal expects to be online at all times, as an IP terminal would, then it would probably fail if there was no internet connection.

There are also more mobile solutions available these days, so building in dead zone mitigation for those would make sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
What happens when the bank issues a prompt for your PIN when you're using your phone? is that just a case of unlocking your phone/entering your PIN on your phone or how does that work? as you theoretically wouldnt have your card with you so you wouldnt be able to put it into the machine

I would imagine that you would have to unlock your phone rather than enter a card PIN.

That's probably why you have to have a lock to use it even if you don't have to unlock the phone for every transaction?

Soldato
I would imagine that you would have to unlock your phone rather than enter a card PIN.

That's probably why you have to have a lock to use it even if you don't have to unlock the phone for every transaction?

On Apple pay you have to enter the physical card and enter the pin. Only used it 2 times at the same place and got told to enter the card and input the pin.

Soldato
On Apple pay you have to enter the physical card and enter the pin. Only used it 2 times at the same place and got told to enter the card and input the pin.

Seems a bit daft if Apple are expecting people to ditch their wallet in favour of their phone.

Personally I wouldn't be without my card anyway, too many people haven't rolled out contactless yet, but long term when contactless is ubiquitous they'll have to change that system surely?

Soldato
Used mine a few times now with no issues.

The only problem for me is a social one with paying with phones in general. If you're being served (rather than a self service till) the cashier normally looks to you to ascertain a means of payment before then pressing something on the till to spark up the card machine. It's this bit where just holding your phone (like everyone does) isn't enough to say you want to pay be card/phone. And then what do you say to them? "I want to pay by card" or "phone". Card is a lie and phone will just get funny looks. Ahhh first world problems...

Soldato
Used mine a few times now with no issues.

The only problem for me is a social one with paying with phones in general. If you're being served (rather than a self service till) the cashier normally looks to you to ascertain a means of payment before then pressing something on the till to spark up the card machine. It's this bit where just holding your phone (like everyone does) isn't enough to say you want to pay be card/phone. And then what do you say to them? "I want to pay by card" or "phone". Card is a lie and phone will just get funny looks. Ahhh first world problems...

Had that already in a farmfoods, just said paying by card which you are its just the method that's different.
I'm finding it very convenient using the phone. I have those metal slips for my contactless cards to avoid any fraud, so this means no faffing taking them out of the slips.

Associate
Wait a sec, I thought Android Pay doesn't work if you're rooted? It may allow you to add the card but I thought it blocks the card from actually working when attempting to pay.

tha'ts what i heard too

Works perfectly fine for me and I have managed to purchase items without a problem. I'm stock rom and rooted. I have a Nexus 5X on May security update running version 2.72 of Super SU

Soldato
Wait a sec, I thought Android Pay doesn't work if you're rooted? It may allow you to add the card but I thought it blocks the card from actually working when attempting to pay.

It works as long as you don't modified the system framework. I'm rooted, with custom rom and kernel.

Just make sure you use the systemless SuperSU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom