Blackberry Priv

Associate
*** Blackberry Priv ***

Well it's official...Blackberry's going to release an Android device sometime between now and the end of the year

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-officially-announces-blackberry-priv

RIP BB10, such a beautiful OS (even though BB will continue to offer and update BB10, it's likely to wane even further now)

Bring on BB Android - hopefully the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
Associate
It looks like it could be a decent device, not sure about the hardware keyboard but I suppose it is still a Blackberry afterall. I just hope they allow development on the device which was an issue of previous Blackberries. This is the move RIM should have made 5 years ago!

Caporegime
Not really happy about it but BlackBerry needs to do something in order to stay in touch with the competition.

I'm not a fan of the name or the slider itself but this could bring back a lot of people, who like the keyboard but left due to lack of apps.

Think it will be interesting in that it will be running Android but blackberry will be behind it with the security.

If this is the way BlackBerry are heading towards then I'd like to see Samsung create the hardware for BlackBerry and BlackBerry just concentrate on the software side of things.

Soldato
I'm currently and have been using a Z10 for since its release over two years ago. Yesterday I took delivery of an IPhone 6S Plus, the same day the rumoured revel of The Priv.... Let's just say that iPhone is staying in its box and going back to the Apple Store.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Sad to see BB10 go, if it got the support it deserved from developers it could really be something truly special. The base OS, fundamental navigation and setup is just leagues ahead of Android/Ios

Thankfully some of the best parts are coming to the Priv but the lack of gestures is already making me sad.

Soldato
What I would have really liked to see was no software buttons but the BlackBerry toolbelt in its place, that would have been the perfect phone for me.
But nevertheless this will be a day one pickup for me. Very sad to see BB10 go but I've been a BlackBerry fan for years and will continue to support.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
it does look good. i wish they'd give a date and more demos as i'm desperate for a new phone and this looks to be my favourite, as long as battery is good and camera is good.

All leaks have said November for US carriers and in previous releases the UK has edged the US by a few days usually. Hoping for a mid November pickup.

and what are battery/camera's usually like on blackberry phones? obvs a major change of software so could easily be different, but i'd like to think, at least with the battery that due to the slide out keyboard this phone is thicker and there for more space for battery, but perhaps less space as the keyboard is taking the battery's place.

i'd get the S6 if it wasn't for the poor battery, and terrible glass design.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
and what are battery/camera's usually like on blackberry phones? obvs a major change of software so could easily be different, but i'd like to think, at least with the battery that due to the slide out keyboard this phone is thicker and there for more space for battery, but perhaps less space as the keyboard is taking the battery's place.

Battery is usually very good with the exception of the Z10. I get 2 days out of my passport with decent usage, but obviously that's with an OS which is designed for the hardware and all, Android will be a wait and see.

Camera wise BB has always been 'alright' at best, but there's loads of leaked promos about this having an 18mp Schnider lens with dual flash. Means very little to me as I take about 10 photos a month.

Associate
It looks like it could be a decent device, not sure about the hardware keyboard but I suppose it is still a Blackberry afterall. I just hope they allow development on the device which was an issue of previous Blackberries. This is the move RIM should have made 5 years ago!

indeed.

Associate
OP
I'll probably stick with a Z3 or Z5 until they release a slimmer Priv without a keyboard or one that has 3 - 4 days battery. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. BB10 is perhaps the most fluid, intuitive OS I've ever used and as close to perfect for a mobile OS as it can get imho so if Blackberry have worked even 30% of its magic into this, it's going to be great

The only thing I don't get is, will this be running lollipop with blackberry bolt-on's or is it an entirely new OS based on android? In other words have they re-written it from the ground up or is it just features added into stock android?

Soldato
Going to be quite expensive apparently; a quote from John Chen reads:-
"High-end price, yeah. We'll make the phone financially affordable to get, whether that's by installments or something else."

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Going to be quite expensive apparently; a quote from John Chen reads:-
"High-end price, yeah. We'll make the phone financially affordable to get, whether that's by installments or something else."

It's a high spec phone with a unique design, curved screen, physical keyboard to pay for, and it's very, very thin. I'm not surprised. Expecting £600 UK RRP. Passport was 550 and this is a much more expensive device to build.

Still very excited for it.

Back
Top Bottom