mobile phone scam that leaves you with a £300 bill for calls you never made

Soldato
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ne-scam-leaves-300-bill-calls-never-made.html

Saw this a month or so ago. Pretty terrifying especially as the mobile phone providers are insisting that the calls were made, and not refunding without a fight. My 12 month SIM-only plan with EE is coming to an end, and this sort of thing is likely to drive me back to giffgaff - nice hybrid of PAYG and packaged allowances (goodybags), and no possibilty of this happening beyond using up any credit you have on your account. I wonder if giffgaff's data speed has improved...

Soldato
That's pretty shocking, thankfully not received one yet, just a 020 number which googling turns out to be a car accident claim line scam.

If this does become common then the operators will have no choice but to refund.

Soldato
OP
Can't you just put a block on extra payments on a standard sim only plan?

I know my extra limit on my bt phone I set as 20quid

Some networks can do that and others not. I was chatting online to TalkMobile today, and they say they cannot bar premium rate numbers. Likewise, Vodafone cannot put a limit on your account either. On data for example, they send you texts as you get close to the limit, but they have no mechanism for limiting your bill. I'm on EE of course, I need to check with them.

Soldato
Some networks can do that and others not. I was chatting online to TalkMobile today, and they say they cannot bar premium rate numbers. Likewise, Vodafone cannot put a limit on your account either. On data for example, they send you texts as you get close to the limit, but they have no mechanism for limiting your bill. I'm on EE of course, I need to check with them.

Oh they do, they just make too much money off of people accidentally going over their limits.

Three will let me disable basically anything I like so I don't go over my limits. I find it hard to believe companies like EE and Vodaphone can't do the same.

Soldato
OP
On Vodafone you can enable a "Premium rate information call and text bar" in the account section, and we've done that on my wife's phone. That should stop this sort of scam. I'll contact EE today about my phone.

I did speak to Vodafone about data and they said there is no way you they can cap data or costs if you go over the limit (but that is a separate topic..)

Soldato
OP
Sorry but huge amounts of NO! Its got worse if anything. Although it is nice to know the most I could loose with scams like this is my very small amount of credit.

Just tried a speedtest on giffgaff - 8am Sunday, off-peak. I have one of their SIMS for cheap international calls. Speedtest result: down 1.5Mb and up 0.5Mb. OK this was on my 3G Moto-G, but that is indeed no better, or possibly worse than when I was with them 12 months ago ! I should try in my 4G phone, but what used to happen with that was the same 1Mb down and 16 Mb up. The down speed being the important one, which was useless.

Back
Top Bottom