Noob Folding@home

Associate
Hi

Now that I have a better rig I'd like to join folding@home as it's a good thing to contribute to. Sorry for the noob questions but here goes:

1) I see that OCUK has ranking tables with dumping usage - do you joining folding at home via OCUK (i.e. as a collective group) or directly from folding@home and upload results?

2) Can you determine the CPU usage that's dedicated to folding? ( assume you can.

Cheers
S

MGP

MGP

Soldato
When distributed computing first started, projects were CPU based. Over time, as GPUs became more powerful, many projects found the number crunching performance of the GPU offered greater power. These days folding@home offers a better return on energy v credit for GPU. That's not to say that some CPU crunching isn't worthwhile.

The boinc platform offers projects that are biased to CPU and others GPU. Some projects do both.

If you want to max out your computer's potential then a CPU project or two on boinc with folding on GPU could be the way to go.

There should be some guides (they may be a little out of date) in the sticky threads above that show how to run folding or boinc. In general you register an account with a project (use the same email address / password on each of the boinc projects you join so things will tie up nicely), download the client software and set your computing preferences. Boinc makes it easy as once you have the boinc platform you can add projects from within the Boinc manager on your PC. Once you have registered with a project, you link your account to the OcUK team. Make sure you do find us, as there are a couple of rogues out there.

Associate
OP
Hi all

I'm all set up, joined team 10 and have the passkey.

When running at full power on folding@home, my 970 hit 60 degress. Is that ok to run at all the time?

Cheer
S

Back
Top Bottom