*** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread ***

Associate
I'm tempted by the 6-month block at £6.99 too. I'm only a bit wary as there have been three MMOs I've bought block subs for in the past and despite enjoying them all (Rift, SWTOR and TSW) the people I've played with have buggered off leaving me to stop playing early, thus wasting sub money.

I'll probably go for a three month sub as I'm in no rush to power through this one so I'll glean plenty of content from it :)

Soldato
OP
I'm tempted by the 6-month block at £6.99 too. I'm only a bit wary as there have been three MMOs I've bought block subs for in the past and despite enjoying them all (Rift, SWTOR and TSW) the people I've played with have buggered off leaving me to stop playing early, thus wasting sub money.

I'll probably go for a three month sub as I'm in no rush to power through this one so I'll glean plenty of content from it :)

While i think this game is great, i wouldn't buy anything more then a month right after launch. See how it goes, see whats on offer to make you sub after. If after launch its looking good, then think about dropping the big months.

Man of Honour
If you have the beta client, you can update to the launch client from Thursday, so good idea to download that update on Thursday so that its all done and dusted and ready

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm 'SiNBaD' from the TOG ESO EU Guild, and want to thank Tomb for all his efforts sending a bunch of OCUKer's our way, we will be getting some great events and dungeon runs organised soon after release.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys in-game.

Take care all.

Hi Sinbad

Looking forwards to seeing you all in game :)

Soldato
OP
Paul Sage responds to the API stuff:

As many of you know, there has been a lot of discussion over recent changes to the API. As you are probably aware, we recently publicly clarified our overall UI modding strategy, and our reasons for making changes to the API. To reiterate, our goal was: to keep the playing field level for our competitive environments.

The initial release of our API was intentionally wide open in order to test the boundaries of what could be done - which is exactly what happened. We saw things which necessitated that we change the API. When we made the changes to restrict our API, our goal was to make sure you couldn't see more information about your enemies than we intended. But we also found that certain events could be used to allow add-ons and macro programs, used in conjunction, to do many things which otherwise should require player skill. For example, it was trivial to create an add-on "listen" for a debuff, and be able to remove this debuff automatically - or to create an add-on that allowed group members' adds-ons to report their status through chat allowing party members with the same add-on to automatically cast heals.

In order to keep the playing field as level as we could for competitive PvE and competitive PvP at ship, we removed the ability of the API to access this functionality. We left as much of the API open as we felt we could. If later we feel changes or additional functionality is a good thing without damaging the overall game, some features may be re-enabled. We do not want players writing scripts that play their character for them, and that was the direction ESO UI modding was headed.

Our changes to the API were exclusively about keeping the playing field as level as we could in a competitive environment, not about keeping the game immersive or trying to make sure people could not see numbers. However, it is certainly true we don’t natively add icons to show buffs and display timers. You might ask why?

First, we feel a clean and unobtrusive UI is a key part of The Elder Scrolls Online. We have worked to keep many things off the screen that were not absolutely necessary. As an example, we have broken down buffs and debuffs into a few key effects. If you puncture armor, you can see that overlayed on the health bar of your opponent as a “cracked” graphic. If you or your opponent is powered up, you will see a bright aura around the health bar. If you are suffering from a DOT, you will see arrows representing a decrease overlayed on your health bar. Further, we have animation, sounds, and particle effects in world to give you further clues as to what is happening. We believe these actually represent your state and that of your opponents much more clearly than icons. But why not have icons?

To put it simply, icons are for another game with different controls and a different purpose. The controls of our game naturally tie mouse movement and looking around the world together in a mechanism reminiscent of previous Elder Scrolls games. We don’t have a free mouse where you can get information about what the icons represent by hovering over them in the heat of battle. Also, showing timers through icons isn’t what we wanted. Part of the skill in ESO is situational awareness and seeing when events are happening in the world and in some cases on the UI. Another reason we don’t show buff/debuff icons is that icons appearing and disappearing on the screen looked bad, especially considering ESO has shorter duration debuffs and buffs that would be constantly appearing and disappearing.

Finally, our UI and game isn’t built just for experts, min-maxers, and number crunchers. Our UI is built to have broad appeal while still providing necessary information to be successful. Could more be done to improve the information? I think so. But every improvement has to be weighed carefully against other upcoming features, improvements, or new content added to the game. We are constantly working to improve ESO – which will continue as long as people are playing the game – and we will continue to iterate on the UI and information presented to you.

Lately we’ve been quieter on the boards and in public as we head towards launch – but know that we are always listening and reading. We very much appreciate constructive feedback. We are looking very forward to seeing you in Tamriel on Sunday.

Associate
I understand where he is coming from with a lot of that, but he also needs to man up a little and admit that a lot of the reasons we don't have anything on screen is due to them attempting to woo the console players.

I'm fine with not having reams of information spewed at me via the UI, but I can't see anything that indicates to me whether I have any self buffs running without pressing 'C' which is counter-intuitive.

I think this is in response to the very prominent Tamriel Foundry mod and Entropy Rising (ZoS #1 beta testing guild) player that a month ago, wrote a very glowing review of the game and yesterday wrote a piece about how he's quitting the game and worries teh direction it is taking ect. The 'I'm leaving before the game has even gone live' blog and complete 180 strangely coincides with the nerf to Templar magika regen and more importantly, the closing off of the API - which has seriously upset a lot of the Entropy Rising players as they were the main source of mods.

Soldato
OP
IMO, good riddance. :)

I hate these pre launch uber guilds who run big websites, demanding and screaming entitlement. The only reason they even made that TF website was to gain access to the beta. It was the same with Darth Hater.

Last edited:
Associate
IMO, good riddance. :)

I hate these pre launch uber guilds who run big websites, demanding and screaming entitlement. The only reason they even made that TF website was to gain access to the beta. It was the same with Darth Hater.

There was a definite sense of 'I'm taking my ball and going home' about his farewell post. I think it's also a bit cheap to almost completely rely on the UI crutch to make you competitive in either PvE or PvP.

Not long now!! :D

Soldato
OP
Release patch notes 1.0!!

The Elder Scrolls Online v1.0 features many fixes and improvements to existing content in preparation for launch. Here’s a brief overview of what awaits you in this test:

Implemented the final cinematic you’ll see at the beginning of the game.

Added all remaining orchestral music and VO. Fixed many issues that were impeding quest progress.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

Alliance War General

Enemy players will no longer be able to get past Elder Scroll gates while the gate is closed, protecting the scroll within the temple.

Keep assets should no longer appear invisible.

Art & Animations

General

Fixed an issue where the camera would go into third-person view when jumping and strafing right in first-person view.
Fixed some issues with character animation transitions after dodge-rolling.
Fixed an issue where shoulder pads on NPCs would float in the air while they scratched their head.
Fixed frame-rate issues with Dark Anchors.
Fixed an issue with female Khajiit with 3 face piercings not animating during conversations with NPCs.
/torch has been temporarily disabled, but will return in a future patch.

Audio General

The remaining voiceovers and orchestral music have been integrated into the game.
Balanced the audio levels in-game.
Fixed numerous audio issues with UI, monsters, and ambience.

Combat & Gameplay General

You can no longer use /stuck while you are engaged in combat.
Attempting to use /stuck while in Cyrodiil or any of the Cyrodiil delves will give you an error message.
Note: This change is temporary. /stuck will be coming back to Cyrodiil soon, but it will use a different system.
Fixed an issue so you can now break a crowd control ability while in the air from a knockback.
Fixed an issue with charge abilities that could cause you to charge inside of monsters, rather than up to them.
Fixed an issue where partially charged heavy attacks were doing more damage on sneak attacks than fully charged heavy attacks.

Racial

Fixed an issue where the Dark Elf racial passive Flame Talent would not improve the damage of many spells. It should now increase all fire damage caused.
Fixed an issue where the Dark Elf racial passive Flame Talent was adding a flat damage to fire damage rather than a percentage increase.
Increased the bonus fire damage for the Dark Elf racial passive Flame Talent.
Reduced the bonus elemental damage for the last two ranks of the High Elf racial passive Elemental Talent.

Dragonknight

Fixed an issue where the FX for Igneous Shield could become permanently stuck on you.

Nightblade

Fixed an issue with Shadow Image where summoned shades were not disappearing properly when the ability was re-cast.

Sorcerer

Fixed an issue where you could become stuck when using Ball Lightning repeatedly.

Templar

Increased the health restoration of Healing Ritual, and increased the magicka cost to match.
Slightly reduced the radius of Healing Ritual.
Adjusted the effect of Light Weaver on the Healing Ritual ability. Instead of reducing the ability’s cost, it now causes Healing Ritual to give 2 ultimate to you and each ally it heals.
Reduced the damage debuff on the ultimate ability Nova.

Vampire

Fixed an issue where Vampires could reset the disease back to stage 1 when they died or went to a different zone.

Werewolf

Fixed an issue where you could become stuck and unable to attack for a few seconds after casting the werewolf ability Pounce.

Crafting and Economy

General

You can now trade the Breton Racial Motif.
Fixed an issue with jewellery enchants that reduce the cost of all spells. The progression should now be consistent across all levels and veteran ranks.

Dungeons/Group Content

General

Crow's Wood: Fixed an issue where Rulantaril would not properly spawn on the Subdue Rulataril quest step in A Son’s Promise. Darkshade Caverns: Fixed an issue where the Defensive Instinct ability could be interrupted, and was missing its telegraph in The Hive Lord.
Blessed Crucible: Fixed an issue where Talres Voren would get stuck if gladiators were killed before quest was activated in Fire of Battle.
Wayrest Sewers: Fixed an issue where Uulgarg the Hungry's 'Terrifying Roar' could be interrupted, and if you were out of range, he would cast the ability repeatedly until it hit you.

Veteran Dungeons

Veteran Spindleclutch: Fixed an issue that would prevent the Blood Spawn boss from using his charge/cave-in ability.

Miscellaneous General

Should our megaserver ever reach capacity, you will be presented with the option to either play on an overflow server (if the queue times have reached a sufficient length), or join the queue for the megaserver. Any progress made with your character on the overflow server will be saved for the next time you play on the megaserver. In order to optimize performance, the overflow server has the following features disabled:

Cyrodiil

Friends

Guilds (this includes related features such as guild bank and guild store)
Quests General

Replaced the weapon rack in the tutorial with tables. These tables now contain a sword and shield, a staff, and a two handed maul for you to pick up.
Fixed an issue with several quests that would incorrectly despawn your pets, rather than removing the NPCs associated with that quest that needed to go away.

Found an issue with hundreds of events in-game that could sometimes lead to the quest breaking. These fixes should resolve the following situations:

Missing NPCs.

Despawned or missing monsters that are critical for completing a quest.

Missing objects that are critical for completing a quest.

Groups completing quest content asynchronously.

Moved the NPCs that take you back to your starter island to a closer and more visible location.

Fixed an issue in several zones where monsters could stop spawning when a specific set of criteria is met. Areas impacted include:

Auridon – Veiled Keep

Glenumbra – Angof’s Sanctum

Grahtwood - Cathedral of the Golden Path

Grahtwood - Reliquary Vault

Fighters Guild - Mzeneldt

Fighters Guild - Stonefang Cavern

Fighters Guild - Buraniim

Mages Guild - Glade of the Divine

Mages Guild - Cheesemonger's Hollow

Main Quest – Heart’s Grief

Stonefalls – Tormented Spire

Auridon The Veiled Choice: Fixed an issue where Eranamo could become your follower permanently.

Harsh Lesson: Fixed an issue where Ilara would not spawn if someone else had already helped her.

Entila's Folley: Fixed an issue where the boss Bakihg would not spawn, preventing you from getting the achievement.

Rightful Inheritance: Fixed an issue where Sorondil would not path properly when following the quest pin to his mother.

Abandoned Mine: Fixed an issue where bosses and other monsters would not spawn in the ritual room if someone else had recently cleared the room.

New in Town: Fixed an issue where Malareth’s quest marker would not update to her new location when turning in the quest.

Bal Foyen

Tears of Amaya: Fixed an issue where your response to Niima’s greeting claimed you had done something that you hadn’t done yet. Fixed an issue where Trynhild Earth-Turner was swinging as if holding a sword, but actually had a bow in his hand.

Betnikh

Unearthing the Past: Fixed an issue where the quest could be blocked if the Abomination of Hate became stuck.

Deshaan

The Judgement of Veloth: Fixed an issue where The Keeper would not spawn at all on the quest step “Free the Spirits,” even after attempting to relog.

Cold Blooded Vengeance: Fixed an issue where you could not burn ships to advance the quest.

Vision Quest: Fixed an issue where the Maulborn General Darvasen would not spawn on the quest step “Find the Maulborn General.”

Ritual of Anguish: Fixed an issue where skull quest items could not be placed on the designated altar.

Trial of the Ghost Snake: Fixed an issue where the dream effect would not clear after you defeated the Shadow Snake.

Challenge the Tide: Fixed an issue where you could not interact with the signal horn more than once if someone else killed Gruznak. Bad Medicine: Fixed an issue where Grell would not appear, blocking all quest progress.

Eastmarch

Lost Crown: Adjusted the difficulty of the fight with Malana.

Fighters Guild

Anchors from the Harbour: Fixed an issue where the Guardian attack sequence would sometimes start and stop incorrectly.

Glenumbra

The Dagger's Edge: Fixed an issue where Foulwing in the Shrieking Scar would not spawn, even if you used the picked bones.

The Dagger's Edge: Fixed multiple issues that would occur after Foulwing was killed and you return to Lord Diel’s camp: On quest step “Talk to Bumnog,” Bumnog should now spawn without needing to relog first.

On quest step “Talk to Lord Diel,” Lord Diel should now advance the quest correctly without having to leave the area or relogging. Cutting off the Source: Fixed an issue where Veilen would not always spawn.

Wolves in the Fold: Fixed an issue that would prevent refugees from turning into werewolves when you used the quest amulet on them.

The Lion Guard's Stand: Fixed an issue where the rescue patrols would not always spawn.

Wyrd and Coven: Fixed an issue where Mother Murk would not always spawn .

White Mask of Merien: Fixed an issue where the journal needed for the quest would not spawn.

Reclaiming the Elements: Fixed an issue where Guardians would not despawn if the quest was abandoned after they were summoned.

Reclaiming the Elements: Fixed an issue where Guardians of Earth, Air and Water were not interactable.

The Legacy of Baelborne Rock: Fixed an issue where Ellina would not always spawn, despite a quest arrow indicating her position.

Grahtwood

Scuttle Pit: Fixed an issue where the Spider Queen respawned too quickly.

Bosmer Insight: Fixed an issue where you couldn’t enter the final room to get Brackenleaf's heart.

Khenarthi’s Roost

Cast Adrift: Fixed an issue where the quest step with Nistel would break if you chose the dialog option "Sergeant Firion said Torchbug Treacle might help. I'll look for some on the beach,” and brought back treacle for her.

Mistral: Fixed an issue where the banker in Mistral would not let you access your guild bank.

Storm on the Horizon: Fixed an issue where Razum Dar would spawn many copies of himself on the quest step “Talk to Ealcil.”

Storm on the Horizon: Fixed an issue where Razum Dar would sometimes not advance the quest or travel to the next destination after the quest step “Talk to Razum Dar” of Captain Tremouille’s quest.

Storm on the Horizon: Fixed an issue where a quest marker would sometimes not appear for the Boatswain to take you back to Auridon.

Storm on the Horizon: Fixed an issue where quest markers for Razum Dar would sometimes not appear throughout the starter area quest line.

Mages Guild

Fixed an issue where Shalidor was missing his greeting dialogue before offering a quest.

Main Quest

Tutorial: Updated the quest to give you a choice of three weapons at the start of the tutorial.

Daughter of Giants: Fixed an issue where Lyris’ Axe was occasionally missing, blocking your progression.

Daughter of Giants: Fixed an issue where leaving Coldharbour and returning midway through the quest would prevent you from advancing.

Daughter of Giants: Fixed an issue where Lyris would not knock down the rock wall during her backstory quest, preventing you from advancing.

Castle of the Worm: Fixed an issue where Lyris would not follow you, and would instead stay in the shack after you arrive in Coldharbour. Halls of Torment: Fixed an issue where dark companion bosses and the

Dutchess of Anguish would become stuck in the world and immediately respawn, possibly breaking the quest.

Shadow of Sancre Tor: Fixed an issue where Mannimarco would become invisible if you died by his cold hands at least one time.

Malabal Tor

Enemy of My Enemy: Fixed an issue where waypoints didn’t match the next step of the quest.

Arithiel: Fixed an issue where the quest could be blocked if Cassio Varo fell out of the world.

Reaper’s March

A Door into Moonlight: Fixed an issue where you got stuck cowering after praying, and ended up blocking the quest.

Rivenspire

Blood Cursed Town: Fixed an issue where the text “MONSTER” would appear in the conversation with the Mayor.

Stonefalls

Stonefang Cavern: Fixed an issue that was causing floating rocks and a large indent in the terrain.

Proving Trust: Fixed an issue where you could not interact with the peasants to heal them.

Divine Favor: Fixed an issue where you would be unable to summon either of the guard captains.

Restoring the Guardians: Fixed an issue where Blaze and Ragebinder would not always spawn.

Restoring Order: Fixed an issue so that interacting with the dresser will progress the quest for those playing either solo or grouped.

Davon’s Watch: Moved Holgun so he’s a little easier to find.

Stormhaven

Gift from a Suitor: Fixed an issue where you would become stuck if you logged off in the middle of “Defend the Countess.”

Norvulk Ruins: Fixed an issue where Nariam would not respawn for a short amount of time for those that did not receive the achievement for killing him, if another member in their group killed him first.

Simply Misplaced: Fixed an issue where you would have to leave the Mages Guild building and re-enter to make Valaste appear in order to progress the quest.

Stros M’Kai

Izad's Treasure: Fixed an issue where the Buried Treasure could not be interacted with once dug up.

The Rift

Fixed an issue where Soralfa Meadblood was missing her VO lines.

User Interface General

Added the final opening cinematic.
Added the final credits.
Updated the profanity filter word list.
The location dropdown in the Group Tools window has been expanded to better support localized text.
Fixed an issue where completing a quest while in a conversation would not automatically track a new quest if one was granted during the same conversation.
Items that have a sell value of zero no longer display a value in their tooltips.
Fixed an issue where a crash would occur when entering spawned portals in first person mode.

Soldato
Really not happy with them moving the NPC's for the island. Already stinks of pandering to the brain dead masses who cannot be bothered to think move.

Such a tiny thing but that had instilled a worry in my mind already about the possible direction they could take things.

Associate
Couple of good PvP videos:

2mins 20 into the below video, just shows you the scale of the PvP keep battles. They are massive.

Had a little smirk when it got to the end of the video, and he was doing a bridge fight, brought so many memories of DAoC hehe

Really really cant make my mind up to buy it or not, all the PvP things im loving (because it looks so much like DAoC) but all the rest was a little meh i felt.

Soldato
OP
Really not happy with them moving the NPC's for the island. Already stinks of pandering to the brain dead masses who cannot be bothered to think move.

Such a tiny thing but that had instilled a worry in my mind already about the possible direction they could take things.

In their defence, the NPC had no voice acting and was really out in the sticks.

Great he's back again, i thought we got rid of him. :(

Man of Honour
Had a little smirk when it got to the end of the video, and he was doing a bridge fight, brought so many memories of DAoC hehe

Really really cant make my mind up to buy it or not, all the PvP things im loving (because it looks so much like DAoC) but all the rest was a little meh i felt.

One thing I was very happy to see as I ran around Cyrodiil was milegates, I had some great times in Daoc at the milegates and I hope the ESO players learn to use them here to the same effect

Associate
I understand where he is coming from with a lot of that, but he also needs to man up a little and admit that a lot of the reasons we don't have anything on screen is due to them attempting to woo the console players.

I'm fine with not having reams of information spewed at me via the UI, but I can't see anything that indicates to me whether I have any self buffs running without pressing 'C' which is counter-intuitive.

I think this is in response to the very prominent Tamriel Foundry mod and Entropy Rising (ZoS #1 beta testing guild) player that a month ago, wrote a very glowing review of the game and yesterday wrote a piece about how he's quitting the game and worries teh direction it is taking ect. The 'I'm leaving before the game has even gone live' blog and complete 180 strangely coincides with the nerf to Templar magika regen and more importantly, the closing off of the API - which has seriously upset a lot of the Entropy Rising players as they were the main source of mods.

Here's the link if anyone is interested - http://errantpenman.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/a-farewell-to-teso/

One thing that does concern me is he seems to state there's still a lot of bugs left in the game this close to release. For the recent beta testers is he on the mark with this?
Obviously no MMO launches completely bug free but do you feel it's being rushed out?

Also he briefly touches on balance issues, now I didn't get too far in the betas to really get into the balance side of things but how's that shaping up? Will there be one class/spec that will dominate?

Just looking for other opinions, not trolling, before I get jumped on :p

Soldato
OP
For the recent beta testers is he on the mark with this?

I experienced a lot of questing bugs and some minor ones to do with horse dismounting, but for the most part they have been patched with the last 2 patch notes i posted.

I have no idea about end game bugs, i've read quite a few AMA (Ask Me Anything) about end game from differing veteran rank players and they haven't really mentioned anything.

Will there be one class/spec that will dominate?

I doubt you'll have one class that will dominate, more play style i guess. CC is way to strong at the moment, but balancing a MMO is a constant thing and based upon everything i've read and seen, i have confidence in them.

But only time will tell.

Having a second read through it, he just sounds so butt hurt that Zenimax stuck to their guns and restricted API access. Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom