Sacked...by TEXT?!

Associate
A friend of mine was working for an estate agency in London (not sure which one, but the workplace isn't really relevant).

The boss lady never really took to him (his words). He tried to push his commitment up a notch; getting some clients in and trying to make an effort.

Two days later, he gets a text basically telling him that he was sacked. Reason? He'd opened some mail. It was addressed to the company, not to her. Tried to call his boss - nothing. She only replies when he asks to collect his personal items.

Now he was in his probational period but still - by TEXT? Seems very unprofessional and cowardly. I'm aware that you can be let go for pretty much no reason during probation but - of all the friends of mine who have been let go like that, they at least got a phone call.

I'm just really upset for him. I don't know the full story but I'm just aghast at the cheek of it!

Soldato
Best to get out of the place early on if the manager is like that. There are better jobs out there for someone that's actually committed.

Soldato
Believe it or not, I've had worse. I was employed by a company to start up a sales department, create a database from old clients, and start bringing in new business. The employer knew I was ill (long term condition/disability) when they employed me.

In the first 10 weeks, I brought in quite a few new clients - one of which was so large it necessitated a new sub-office being set up! The next week (week 11) I had ONE day off due to unavoidable illness which made it physically impossible to get to work, and was related to my disability.

I received a SSP form in the post the next day, with the front page being ticked "No longer works for our company". Low. :o

Soldato
Wow, Rainmaker that's baaaaaaaaaad. I can't help thinking that you and makeshiftwings are better off somewhere else, though.

Also, estate agencies: they are well-known for being pits of despair aren't they?

Soldato
No rights if employed for under a year by the company - so no use with tribunals, CAB etc.

Only thing i can think of is to take it to the papers. Seriously, they love stuff like this and your mate will earn a few hundred for it (it's not as if he's going to be asking for a reference from this company!)

Soldato
Working for a women boss is either really good or really bad IME,
give me an average bloke every time.

This.

I think it's to do with general male attitude to work compared to female where men have more in common on how to approach a task.

I remember when I used to work in a shop. My manageress always deemed me slow as she used to love multi-tasking which I believe women are naturally good at since it is wired in their brain:p.
Whereas I liked doing one thing at a time and completing it before moving onto another task. I told her this is the best way I can do as multi tasking distracts me heavily.

Imo it is easier to put up with a bad male boss than a bad female boss. Women also tend to have a more bitchy attitude towards each other.

Personally I have found bad female bosses/co-workers very shallow and lacking broad mindset. On the other hand you will also find very friendly female co-workers.

Back
Top Bottom